c diff positive - what now?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.

c diff positive - what now?

Postby posta » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:11 pm

today i got my analysis back, c diff is positive, a i b toxins. i was on cedefex for sinus problems, after 9 days started cramps, D... after 3 days of cramping and D i went to see the doctor. blood work was all fine, i didnt have fever, but i insisted on working c diff testing.
i am prescribed metronidazole, 2x400 mg daily, so wanted to check with you what is your experiences, what you took for it, how well you tolerated metronidaze. honestly, i am scared to death of another antibiotic, i was even thinking of trying kill this bastard with high dosage of probiotics. is it realistic? did anyone manage to deal with c diff without antibiotics?
thanks for all the help and suggestions, means a lot.
wish you all good health!

Ca5per03
Regular User

Re: c diff positive - what now?

Postby Ca5per03 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:45 pm

It speeds for me up till day 9, I didn't tolerate it well at all and got switched to vancomycin and did that for 10 days for the pill and the first day I had 4 doses of the liquid ( the pharmacy only had 4 pills and had to order more) and knock on wood I only had to take those two rounds, Friday will be a month off the c diff medicine. I also take a probiotic while on and I still take it, but only half of what I took while on the antibiotics.
30, female
C-diff positive 10/19 tested negative 11/26

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:09 pm

Your Dr has not prescribed the correct dose of Flagyl.
Go back to him and insist they look up the correct treatment.

Postby posta » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 pm

thank you so much, i thought the dosage was off.
will check that out before i start it for sure.
and trying without antibiotics is too optimistic?

roy wrote:
> Your Dr has not prescribed the correct dose of Flagyl.
> Go back to him and insist they look up the correct treatment.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 pm

If you still have D you need to treat, probiotics will not cure c.diff.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”