Finally saw ID

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
CTK
New User

Finally saw ID

Postby CTK » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:34 pm

It was hard getting to see the ID but finally because of my frequent visits to the clinic with complaints and worries, I was squeezed in to see the ID. I wanted to see a GI but that won't be until later - after Xmas (rules of the HMO!!?). The ID declared that I was doing good - my D was resolving & my gut sounded good. I still get gassy/bloated. He said no to retesting me for C-Diff.

I am left with some questions.

1. Does it mean I didn't get cured because I had worse D after the Vanco? Is the D that I had actually from the Vanco? ?? Is it IBS? I was worried because my mom had ulcerative colitis and my brother has Crohns. My D was not bad at all before I started on the Vanco. Then it got worse at Day 4 - 9 and then on day 10 (last day) started subsiding. It has been slowly getting better so that 11 days post Vanco, BM are shaping up and only 2 -3 times day. I have way less of the flu-like feeling. However, I have days that I really get bloated most of the day (could be the Sacchromyces Boulardi or the probiotic?) and the mornings are difficult - headache and bloated. I do have short spells where I feel good and sometimes even a whole day. Then it is back to junk feeling. Does this sound like anyone else's experience? I know it is still early in the process.

2. I am worried about my nutrition!! How should I eat now that things are shaping up? How do you introduce new foods so that you know what you can handle - one a day??? Should I add fiber first or fat? Is juicing veggies a good way to go?
I've been doing bland, soft foods and chicken and turkey and a ton of bone broths (Love the product - Bone Broth Protein Powder by Ancient Nutrition - 20 g of protein! Tastes yum stirred in with miso soup.) I know to stay away from uncooked fruit, veggies, spicy food and gassy veggies.

3. Should I insist on a retest for C-Diff? Who is better at helping you with C-Diff - the ID or the GI doctor? I guess the GI doc wants to wait for the C-Diff to resolve.

The good news....all that bone broth has given me awesome finger nails for the first time!!!!

Thanks for sharing your experiences - I know that this is not a place for medical advice.
With aloha,
CTK

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Finally saw ID

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 am

If you have completed the Vanco, the symptoms and D are not gone we call that recovery. BM's are formed and improving, all signs of recovery.

Diet is slow and easy, sounds like you are doing that. I added things a day at a time, some made me sick(D) and I would take it off the list.

Testing is generally not done unless D returns but even then most GI's don't test, mine did not test until I was in recovery for several weeks, then D returned for a week along with symptoms.

Recovery can take awhile even though you have been treated once or twice. Post ibs is common and you are following up with a GI, there are medications that can help.

Things can be "all over the place" for some time, one day you are great, the next D etc. It all takes time. We do have those on the site that have recovered quickly. There are several strains of CDIFF and recovery is individual.

The ID gave you solid advice, if things turn for the worse, I would call him.

NanciT

CTK
New User

Postby CTK » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Thank you for your words of encouragement. It helps so much to hear from your experience.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Agree , it does sound more like recovery and not a relapse. When a relapse is happening there is no improvement in the BM , symptoms can start full blown or mild at the beginning and they ALWAYS gets worse , and fast . Here most of us go by a "three day rule" , you should look into it : CDI- IBS three day rule.
Diet is individual , what works for one might not sit well with another. What worked for me was : eggs , veggie soup , chicken soup ,grilled/steamed/boiled white meats , fish , potatoes , rice , baked apples , bananas , zucchini , toast , after a few weeks i ate cheese and butter , sautee veggies , and more foods. I began from the BRAT diet and reintroduced one new food per day to see how my gut responds to it.

CTK
New User

Postby CTK » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 pm

thanks for the 3 day rule advice. I'm slowly understanding that it will be a long recovery with ebb and flows of symptoms. How do people work with such unpredictable health??!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:38 pm

CTK

It can be difficult to work, I pushed through but it was hard not having access to a bathroom all the time. Recovery can be slow, but you will find yourself feeling better and better. I went very bland while working, weekends I would try new foods. I also did get Levsin for the IBS which really helped me. I continued to use "sea Bands" through recovery and that also helped.

Give yourself the time to heal

Brighter days ahead!

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”