Whet to eat.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Napper
Regular User

Whet to eat.

Postby Napper » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm at a loss as to what I can eat. I started out low fiber. I'm in between Drs right now, so am confused. Can I have protein shakes? I'm scared to eat, truthfully. I've lost 15lbs since this started almost 4 weeks ago. 5 lbs just this week. And I have no idea how to tell if I'm dehydrated. I weak and light headed, but that may just be from lack of food.

Any help would be appreciated.

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Whet to eat.

Postby amg » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Signs of dehydration are thirst, dry mouth, decreased urination, concentrated dark urine, tenting of the skin (when you pinch the skin on the back of your hand and it stays tented and doesn't return to normal right away).

Some people tolerate protein shakes very well, others do not. It depends on your sensitivities. Dairy can be a problem, so can chocolate.
Dehydration can certainly cost you a few pounds of weight on the scale. But you do need to try to get concentrated calories and nutrition.
Maybe others can chime in with what worked for them. Some say peanut butter or nut butters were helpful in trying to pack in calories.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Thank you for your response. I'm cooking carrots right now. Hubby will go shopping tomorrow for things I need, as our cupboards are empty. LOL! Hoping I can get more feedback.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:33 pm

I continued a bland diet for a very long time, slowly adding things. Boiled or backed chicken, rice, baked potatoes, yams(baked and try small amount), boiled spinach(high in iron) Turkey, pasta( no sauce) small amount butter/grated Parm, green beans cooked real well.
Crock pot chicken/green beans/potatoes works great, popsicles,Italian ices,toast,peanut butter, chicken soup. Fruit I added slowly This is what I lived on for a long time. I have tried beef twice, didn't work well for me but will try again when I am off work. Made me very sick and hard to digest.
I also drink "smart water" which has electrolytes.

Give it time, go slow and add new foods slowly.

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:45 pm

I had a diet very similar to NanciT’s.
I also could eat egg beaters, instant oatmeal made with water, herb tea, broiled white fish like tilapia, and white rice but could not tolerate beef or spinach or any vegetables for a long time.
As you can see, some is the common and some is trial and error.

Rita

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:28 pm

I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm still on Vanco. I've spent most of the day in the bathroom. Is this the new me? So very difficult.
NanciT some of that food actually sounds good. I can do chicken or turkey, potatoes, pasta, green beans, love Italian icees, peanut butter!
Thank you for this!! It's been a great help. I think I just got tired of trying to figure out what to eat, so I've just stopoed. And I'm way too tired to cook or even fix peanut butter bread.

I'm so confused. How long do Drs let us suffer before they decide to do the FMT? If it cures it, why wait? It's been almost a month of Hell for me and I'm done. I don't want to feel this way anymore.

Hugs to all those who are fighting this battle with me.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”