Long term effects of Vanco use

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Long term effects of Vanco use

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:57 am

Does anyone know what the long term effects of prolonged vanco use is or any first hand experience? I have already taken 9 days of flagyl which was switched to vanco 125mg 4x a day for 10 days, then I did another 10 days of vanco 125mg 4x a day after relapse and am now on vanco 250mg 4x a day for 28 days for another relapse. I am a 29 yo female, 102lbs. Just curious if anyone has had ill effects from taking so much or for long periods of time like kidney damage or anything. Thanks

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Long term effects of Vanco use

Postby NanciT » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:59 am

Hi

I can only speak for my experience and do know of others who have contacted me that have had a bladder irritation. I call it that because we get the symptoms of a UTI but do not have a UTI, it also caused bladder spasm.
This did not start for me until I completed 3 months of Vanco, while I took it I had no symptoms. It has been mentioned here on the site from time to time.
You can also look up Vanco under Drugs.com and find the list of side effects. In my case, this has been going on 2 years post Vanco. It has been a slow process but is going away.

We also some on the site who have been on it longer with no issues, it gets down to side effects are very individual.

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”