What is a relapse?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Napper
Regular User

What is a relapse?

Postby Napper » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 am

I've been reading about people relapsing. Is that after you are "cured" then get D again? I've been on antibiotics since being released from the hospital on the 12th. I've also had D ever since being released. It hasn't really cleared up. So, am I relapsing or just not cured? It's getting very old, very fast. I don't want to leave the house in case I have to use the restroom.
I don't see my ID until the 12th. By that time I'll be off both Vanco and Flagyl.

Thanks for your help in this journey.

roy
Administrator

Re: What is a relapse?

Postby roy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:19 am

If your 5 or more days into a second course of treatment and still having D 3 or more times a day you should go back to your Dr.
A relapse is the return of D after meds have resolved the main symptoms.
If I read your other posts correctly your symptoms did resolve during your first 10 days of meds but returned when you started tapering so that's a relapse.
I am not to sure Flagyl and Vanco together is a wise decision by your Dr.
Flagyl kills a lot more good flora than vanco and you need that good flora in place AFTER you come off meds to finish the "cure".
Most Drs would increase the vanco dose.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Flagyl is a drug that can actually give you the D. The association of those two drugs , as Roy said, is questionable.Flagyl is to be given along with Vanco only in severe cases , with illeus or other complications , and will be given in iv form , not by mouth. If symptoms are not controlled on the minimum dosage of vanco , the doc should revise the dosage and raise it to 250 mg instead of 125 mg. Have you looked into Dificid? A course of Dificid could be your magic bullet. If you go see your doctor do discuss about Dificid with him.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm very concerned about taking the two together also. I'm going to stop the Flagyl and continue with Vanco. I can't get into see the infectious disease Dr until Dec. 12 and my GI Dr is the one who prescribed the Flagyl on top of the Vanco. I keep asking about Dificid, but the GI Dr won't give it to me. He referred me to the ID after telling me to take both antibiotics together. I'm about ready to give up.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”