Three weeks post vancomycin and early recovery

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Amb66
New User

Three weeks post vancomycin and early recovery

Postby Amb66 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi everyone, (23 yo female) despite my best attempts I am back here freaking myself out. I had a rough week last week with the thanksgiving holiday. I didn’t know how to politely turn down food so needless to say, my stomach wasn’t all that pleased. Anyway I’ve been trying to be nice to it and eat very bland foods as I know I’m still early in recovery. I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what is considered “normal” this early. This week I’ve been having well formed BM’s for the most part but I’ve had a few looser ones as well that make me nervous (I’ve also had IBS for years If that matters). I tried eggs and black beans recently and I think one of those are maybe the culprit. Is it possible?

My other question is more on a mental block. Any time my stomach makes a sound or I feel movement I run to the bathroom just in case. Obviously this is overkill but I’m always so scared I’m actually going to need to go and just brush it off one of these times. Has anyone else experienced this?

One last question- is it possible to take too many probiotics? I’m quite a tiny person and my cousin recommended maybe cutting back to see if that would help but I’m not sure.

This site has been a life saver. Thank you so much everyone!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Three weeks post vancomycin and early recovery

Postby NanciT » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:16 am

POst CDIFF can have BM's all over the place and if you had a history of IBS it may continue for awhile. The feeling like you have to "go" may be part of the IBS and I would see your GI about it.
There are medications that can help with IBS, I was taking Levsin Post CDIFF which helped me a great deal.

Diet can be a big thing, I had to stick to a bland diet for quite some time and SLOWLY bring in foods. It can take time and be very frustrating.

We know there is a mind/gut relationship and it can cause a great deal of worry and stress. We often recommend seeing a counselor if this continues which can be helpful.

As far as relapse, unless you have D for several days and CDIFF symptoms return, often this is Post IBS. Probiotics CAN be irritating, I take ONE VSL#3 post CDIFF cut down from 2-3 a day and that is all I take. You can go overboard with this and it can cause GI issues.

Take it slow, feel better soon

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”