PSA Levels

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
allenb
Contributor

PSA Levels

Postby allenb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:54 am

Hi, everyone. I haven't posted for a while but now have a new concern. A quick recap, I had Cdiff for eight months before it was diagnosed, and then it took five months of treatment--Flagyl, Vanco, Dificid, and FMT before it went into remission. At the same time I have been battling severe sciaticia, but, thankfully, both of the conditions, while not cured, have improved greatly. I have tested negatively for the Cdiff for ten months now, and the sciaticia is at least bearable. But now I just discovered my PSA levels are slightly elevated, My PSA level is 5.4, with a free PSA level of 10.6. My doctor is sending me to a urologist for further evaluation. He said he will probably want to do a biopsy and I am terrified of doing it. I understand they go in through the colon and if the Cdiff bacteria is transferred to the prostate it will be bad news. And if I have to be on an antibiotic--well you all know what that can do. So if any men (or women too, which is highly unlikely) have been through this, I would appreciate any advice you have. Almost forgot--I am 68 and my PC says at my age, with the test results, I have a 30% chance of either having prostate cancer now or developing it in my lifetime. Thank you.

Larry

roy
Administrator

Re: PSA Levels

Postby roy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:08 pm

C.diff can not be transfered to the prostate.
Compare it to transferring a fish to a field, wrong habitat so it dies.
PSA is not a good indicator so try not to worry. Most go through the tests and are told it's ok.
And they don't go as far up as the colon.

allenb
Contributor

Postby allenb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Roy, thank you. Your advice is always great and truly appreciated.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:19 am

Agree with Roy 100% . Cdiff's place is only into the colon , rarely it can colonize the small intestine but that's IT! It doesn't migrate anywhere else. The only thing that can "migrate" are the toxins , especially if the person has a intestinal hyperpermeability known as the "leaky gut syndrome" , the toxins can only go into the bloodstream.

cdiff454
Regular User

Postby cdiff454 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:25 pm

The vast majority of prostate infections are caused by ecoli, so it wouldn't surprise me if they put you on antibiotics for that preemptively if you have surgery. If they do want to, don't deny them (even with the c diff risk). There are few things you can go through that are worse than a chronic prostate infection - c diff is a breeze! Unfortunately I live and breathe prostatitis, and in three years of extensive published research and online community participation I have never once even come across the word c diff in relation to prostatitis. I don't think you have any worries there. Ecoli and enterococcus are the chief culprits to consider. If they want to give you abxs they may recommend a quinolone since they have good prostate penetration (most abxs don't). Another option is fosfomycin, it is very active against ecoli and has low side effects and supposedly a lower chance of c diff (though I relapsed on it so I'm skeptical of that claim). But there's no risk of tendonopathy vs. Cipro. At your age that's something to consider.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”