Thanksgiving and worried guests

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Napper
Regular User

Thanksgiving and worried guests

Postby Napper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:44 pm

I am still on antibiotics after being released from the hospital one week ago. I am going to my son's in-laws for dinner. There are some guests who aren't going to come because they are afraid I'm contagious. I was told I'm not since I'm on antibiotics. Is this true? The in-laws feel bad for me, and don't want me to not come. But, I don't want to get anyone sick. Can anyone help me with the facts?

Ca5per03
Regular User

Re: Thanksgiving and worried guests

Postby Ca5per03 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:19 pm

I don't know that answer, I'm sorry, but I have a back pack I carry around with me that has gloves, bleach germicidal wipes, paper towels, and antibacterial soap where ever I go. And make sure I'm washing my hands and make sure others know to wash theirs. I hope someone has the some insight on this. Sending live and thoughts
30, female
C-diff positive 10/19 tested negative 11/26

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:48 pm

CAsper, like your idea of carrying supplies with you. I would not make "a big deal" of using the supplies, however, this is great protection for you and others.

No one can say "for sure" if you are contagious or not. That is yet another downside of c diff. Handwashing is the best protection.

Best of luck.

Ca5per03
Regular User

Postby Ca5per03 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Never, not the attention anyone wants unfortunately. I don't carry a purse, so I take it with me everywhere, it also includes womanly things, and my wallet. Started using a backpack when I had my son, why carry a diaper bad and purse, when you have backpacks haha

Handwashing is key! But this the season everyone should be washing their hands more.
30, female
C-diff positive 10/19 tested negative 11/26

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Napper, being on antibiotics for c diff is not like being on antibiotics for a “regular” infection, like strep throat, in that when you take them for 24 hrs you are no longer contagious. C diff can still be spread but it is through stool/spores to mouth, so good hygiene and handwashing is key. If you use bleach wipes to clean the bathroom after you toilet and are meticulous about handwashing everyone will be fine. On this site, posters have not spread c diff to family members even after sleeping together so sharing a meal one day is not a problem.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

So, if my GI Dr. says im not contagious, should I believe him? I mean, where is the cut off. Am I going to be an outcast for the rest of my life? I am the cleanest, most sanitary person on the planet and I get this! I know the in laws mean well and feel very bad, but they feel its best that I don't come. It's very upsetting and depressing. I cried enough in the hospital and thought once I was released, I would be back to normal. I've had severe health issues since I was 18 and frankly I dont know how much more I can take. I'm tired of trying to live.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 pm

When would I get tested to prove im not contagious??

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Getting CDIFF does not mean you are not clean in anyway. When we talk about Hand washing it's about spreading. For instance, if a nurse is taking care of a patient with CDIFF and does NOT wash her hands with soap and water properly, she can spread it. The gels and foams do not work against CDIFF.
All of us on this site were exposed with it, we just take precautions once we know we have it.
Try not to feel this is your fault in any way, it's a superbug and contagious so we take all precautions that we can.
Hopefully once you have completed the medication, hopefully your symptoms will improve. We don't test after unless we think it's returned.
Hang in there
NanciT

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Thank you all for your support. This is definately the right place to be. Looks like my Thanksgiving is a bust, but that's ok. I understand others who don't understand how this works. I barely understand. So, I won't force myself on anyone. That would just cause conflict.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:01 pm

As others have said, going to Thanksgiving is definitely not a problem at all. You should not be treated as an outcast. I know that it is confusing for other people to understand, but unless your poop got in their mouth, they cannot catch it from you. Even if that somehow happened, it is not certain that they would even get the infection either. If they have good gut bacteria in check, it would ward off the c-diff anyway. People on antibiotics would be more of risk of catching it. However, I am pretty certain that you wash your hands after you go to the bathroom. As an extra precaution, you could bleach down the bowl after you use it. It is very rare that anybody in a household ever catches it. Sometimes in my opinion, the less people who know that you have c-diff, the better. This way you don't even have to explain yourself to anybody. I really hope you get to go with your family.

Lisa

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 pm

If you want to freak out everyone at the table just tell them that a very high percentage of turkeys carry c.diff!
Some surveys came back with a figure above 30%.
C.diff is a very common bug, not normaly a problem and your not a disease carrying risk to anyone.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27774614/ns/h ... diff-food/

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi Napper! Sorry that you are fighting so many battles along with the C-diff.

There must be a way to make it work. Perhaps you could suggest significant safeguards that would make everyone feel safe. For instance, if there are two bathrooms, have it be known that you would be using one bathroom and everyone else would be using the other. Another step could be you and your son-in-law and your daughter sitting at one table and all the others sitting at the other table.

Your son-in-law and daughter want you there, right? If you miss this Thanksgiving you let C-diff win and you lose unnecessarily. It sounds like, with all you have been though, that you need a pick-me-up, and going to your son-in-laws for Thanksgiving might be just the thing!

Thanksgiving is not just a meal. It's a day of faith and to give thanks, not a day for guests to be selfish and paranoid.

If everyone makes sure to wash their hands, especially you, before eating or before putting their hands to their mouths, they should be reasonably safe. Just make sure that the guests understand that they are not going to catch C-diff by just being in the same room as you!

I hope that you can find a way to be at your son-in-laws and daughter for this Thanksgiving!

Take care, and get better, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

maxny2
New User

Postby maxny2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:00 pm

C diff is spread through the fecal to oral route. Not from being invited to thanksgiving dinner.

You will heal and beat this thing. Happy holidays.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:52 am

I had many relapses of c diff since 2008 and I attended a lot of family functions. No one else in my husband's very large family (usually 35 - 50) ever got c difficile. However, even after treatment, you can continue to shed spores in your bms for many months, so it is important to practice good hand hygiene as was already mentioned.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to go to dinner after all, since the guest who was concerned didn't want to go. I always practice good hygiene, so there shouldn't be an issue.
As for not telling anyone I have it, that was kind of hard since this is family and they knew I was in the hospital for five days. But, it went well.

I saw my GI Dr. on Wed. I had one more Vanco left and my stool still hadn't firmed up. So he put me on Vanco again, but will be tapering me off over the next three weeks.

I was told I could start introducing fiber back into my diet and other foods as tolerated. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous. I ate lettuce today, which was heavanly, but now I'm nauseous with body arches. Which is how all this started. A little concerned.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”