Is there a test for colon flora imbalance?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
brae
New User

Is there a test for colon flora imbalance?

Postby brae » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 am

I am wondering if there is any way to determine what a person's colon flora situation is. My GI won't give a colonoscopy till i'm 50, and even then i don't know if that would tell.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is there a test for colon flora imbalance?

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:22 am

I have yet to come across a doctor that will give a test for it. I have read on this board that posters have taken a Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis by Genova. However, when I asked this same question that you pose to my GI, the answer was that there is no test. I've had a colonoscopy this past year (and I'm only 45). I also had one done when I was younger due to blood. There usually has to be a good reason to have one done prior to 50 though. I was pretty sick in Feb with what turned out to be a nasty virus that messed up my GI. This virus was on the heels of continuous episodes of IBS, so I actually pushed my doctor to do the colonoscopy and endoscopy to rule IBD's, etc out. Everything came back fine, and I was diagnosed with PI-IBS since c-diff 3 years ago. But, I don't believe that a colonoscopy can reveal whether your flora is in balance or not.

-Lisa

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is there a test for colon flora imbalance?

Postby NanciT » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 am

I am also not aware of any test in reference to "flora". Depending on indications and a patients health, GI's will do a colonoscopy on a patient under 50 but it would need to be indicated to rule something out generally to get covered by insurance. I had a few GI's take a look at Genova labs who indicate they do extensive testing. Both felt it was questionable if the results would indicate anything specific.
NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”