Bloating and GERD onset 18 months after beating C. Diff.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
brae
New User

Bloating and GERD onset 18 months after beating C. Diff.

Postby brae » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 am

I developed a C. Diff infection after antibiotics following routine surgery in early 2015, which I got rid of a month later and thought I was in the clear. Over the next year I slowly developed a sensitivity to dairy to the point where I was getting bad Hmrd's, so I cut out the dairy intake. Fast forward to August 2016, I started getting bloating for the first time in my life. It was happening daily, and was accompanied by a pinching sensation below my sternum and occasional heartburn (which I basically never got previously either). I was put on a prescription antacid which worked at first, but then I started getting bad stomach/abdominal pains, so I went on a stronger medication and a stool softener for constipation. A month later I was feeling pretty good so I tried to come off the antacid but then got GERD. It's pretty much been up and down since and still haven't figured out the root cause. During my third GI visit 3 weeks ago she revealed that she thinks the bloating is due to an imbalance of the flora in my colon and the GERD from a weakened LES. The bloating was never really tackled by any of my doctors who chose only to deal with the reflux and constipation. I've also learned that the antacid may have added to the weakening of my LES. I'm about to tackle the flora imbalance with diet, and I am thinking a low stomach acid issue may have also contributed. It's like a giant puzzle.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”