Flu shot or No?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ImScared
New User

Flu shot or No?

Postby ImScared » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 am

Hello again Everybody! I’m 17 days out from my Initial Metronidazole treatment and was wondering if it was safe to get my flu shot? I know I’m exposed at work with cold/viruses and want to play it safe, but I don’t know if it’ll cause a relapse.
I’m still taking my 2 florastor/1culturelle every day with breakfast and dinner. Also still on BRAT diet. Doing my best to minimize any IBS flare ups or cdiff relapse.
Hope you are all doing well and thanks for the experienced advice :)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Flu shot or No?

Postby NanciT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:03 am

I get a flu shot every year but it's required in the hospital. Always run it past your doctor but most will recommend.
Post CDIFF I have found any GI illness seems to be worse for me during the healing process.

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:56 am

Someone asks this every year so search for flu shot.
Answers always the same, it's not a problem and has nothing to do with c.diff!

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 am

Since the flu can lead to secondary infections like pneumonia which might require antibiotics, it's definitely better for a person with c diff to do what they can to not get the flu.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi ImScared!

I wish you continued success recovering from C-diff. Sounds like you are doing the right things!

I am 73 and had my flu shot after I went 14 days without any C-diff symptoms, after I finished 10 days of dificid. For what it is worth, I have diastolic heart failure, permanent afib and asthma, had no notable reactions to the flu shot.
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

ImScared
New User

Postby ImScared » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:18 am

Thanks for the advice! I ended up getting the shot 2 days ago! So far just a sore arm! Today I thought I’d test my luck with sliced turkey(fresh cut from the deli) as a sandwich with a piece of cheese in prep for thanksgiving next week...not a good idea. About 6 hours after I ate I’ve been WD twice with stomach cramping. I have a feeling this is going to be a long night for me!
Thanksgiving is a no go for me this year :(

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”