Early Recovery- safe foods?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Amb66
New User

Early Recovery- safe foods?

Postby Amb66 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:50 am

Hi everyone! I’m so thankful I found this site. I’m a 23 yo female who was diagnosed with C Diff 3 weeks ago. I finished my first round of Vanco a few days ago and fingers crossed, I think it worked! My issue is that I had IBS D prior to all of this, so my stomach is super sensitive. I’ll have a really good day (well a new kind of “good” but I’m adjusting to this new normal) and then the next day I’ll have an upset stomach with gurgling and more frequent trips to the bathroom with times of D (although always some firmer BMs as well, which is definitely not how I was with C Diff). Anyway I guess I’m struggling sticking with a very bland and simple diet because I’m trying to gain weight back. I was super tiny to begin with so the 15lbs I lost are really significant and I’m trying to get them back as fast as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions of foods that worked for them when beginning recovery? I’m lactose intolerant so that limits me a lot. I tried avocado too soon I think and that’s what caused the upset stomach this time. I just hate not knowing for sure what is messing with my stomach (oh the joys of IBS). I’m getting super frustrated because I keep trying to do the right thing (I’m also taking probiotics) but it doesn’t always work. Thanks for your help!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Early Recovery- safe foods?

Postby NanciT » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:33 am

Hello Amb66 Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like you are doing well, I found going back to foods that were no issues in the past could be a problem post CDIFF. I took things very slow and I am still in that process. I ate a great deal of baked potatoe's, baked chicken and would often do a crockpot with potatoes, chicken adding green beans and cooking them all day. It was very bland. Eggs, toast, crackers it was a slow process. If you need to put weight on, some on the site have tried Ensure but with your history that may not agree with you although they have several types out now. What I found is it took time for my body to put the weight back on.
It takes time to heal and food becomes trial and error. We have some on the site who go right back to a normal diet, I always tell people to go slow.
NanciT

2MG
New User

Re: Early Recovery- safe foods?

Postby 2MG » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:02 pm

I am also newly recovering from this. Bland is working best for me as well.

Funny thing that also sits well with me - Pure Protein bars. Absolutely no problem with them. I get a decent amount of.calories and protein, in a snack size portion, that keeps me feeling well fed for a few hours.

Are you able to tolerate yogurt? If so, full fat Greek yogurt might be a good option.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”