New-finished Metronidazole yesterday

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Chris90
Brand New Poster

New-finished Metronidazole yesterday

Postby Chris90 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:52 pm

45 year old female- I was in the hospital for 2 days in April after an accident, and I was put on Augmentin for a total of 5 days by ID. A couple of weeks later, I noticed some "changes" (color, consistency, etc), but it really wasn't bothersome, and there were days of perfectly normal in between. It started to become a little more frequent in July, and I mentioned it to my PCP, but by the time of my appointment, it had started to subside again. She said watch & wait and if it worsened to see a GI. Flash forward to Labor Day weekend, and I had 3-4 days of full blown D with M and then B, 2-3 times each day. At that point I made a GI appointment, but it was a couple of weeks out. The D had once again subsided, so I waited it out. During this time I had less D, but still M & B. He said it could have been cdiff from the Augmentin, but less likely since it was so long ago. He told me to start Align, and booked a colonoscopy. After in the recovery room he said "could be an infection, could be Crohn's. Take Flagyl for 2 weeks and come back to see me." No precautions about c-diff or anything. I had been researching, and basically scared myself silly, so I called to bump up my appointment, and was told this past Tuesday that it I was + for c diff.

So here I am. I seem to have tolerated the Metro better than some, but it was still no picnic-have thrush (taking Diflucan), occasional dizziness, and zero appetite. I have had no M or B in almost a week, so I'm crossing my fingers that I will be one of the lucky "one-and-done" club.

However this has left me with the worst anxiety I've ever felt. I may have been walking around with this for six months and didn't know, and that horrifies me. I'm generally clean anyway, but I've gone into panic mode with the bleach. I'm in a one bathroom apartment with my husband, and I'm terrified that he's going to get sick. I did a big top to bottom cleaning with bleach already, and I now bleach toilet/sink/shower after I use them. I worry about areas that can't be bleached, like wood & fabrics. I worry that we've been doing our laundry together all this time. I worry that there are spores in my dresser drawers because I didn't bleach my clothes. I can't afford to throw everything away. I rarely had bm's anywhere but home, and I've always been careful about hand washing, but I'm still so scared that I spread it that I can barely function. One of my co-workers said she had an upset stomach the other day, and I nearly lost it. I've been waking up at 4-5am, just trembling, and in tears. Thank God for my husband, I don't know what I would do without his support. This morning I got a list of therapists from my insurance.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for all the valuable information I have already found here.
Last edited by Chris90 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: New-finished Metronidazole yesterday

Postby amg » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:52 am

Oh, you poor thing.

We've had lots of discussions on here about how c diff brings anxiety along with it. There are several reasons for that. Not only is it the symptoms - who doesn't get anxiety from diarrhea? You don't know when it will hit, don't know if you'll make it to the bathroom in time, it's so uncomfortable and unpleasant, etc.... But it's more than that, too. The gut actually produces a significant amount of your body's neurotransmitters such as serotonin. When your gut lining and the good microbes are damaged, this production is decreased. And low levels of serotonin can result in anxiety and depression. So there's actually a chemical reason for how you are feeling.

It's good you're planning on seeing a therapist. Some on this site have been helped temporarily by medications, too. Others have improved as they've healed. Make sure to take care of yourself and do things to help you relax - prayer, meditation, fun stress relievers with your husband, etc.

And don't go overboard with the bleaching. It sounds like you're keeping everything clean. If you practice good hygiene, and your husband practices good hygiene including washing hands before eating, etc, he is very unlikely to get sick.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:49 am

We can't use bleach, and have to avoid most chemicals, so when I was suffering from C-diff, we had one rule, "Wash Hands", especially before eating; and keep hands away from mouth! I washed my soiled undies in boiling water. Over a five months period, I relapsed on flagyl, and twice on vancomycin and was finally cured via 10 days on dificid. My wife has shown no ill effects. I guess we were lucky. We still wash hands frequently, especially before eating. Currently, I am feeling better and have more energy than before I contracted C-diff, and have no limitations.

I am not advising for you to be as "careless" as we were/are, but just wanted to show that I did not infect my wife by not using bleach, and have not reinfected in 50 days.

Regards, best of luck, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Chris90
Brand New Poster

Postby Chris90 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Thank you for your kind replies.
amg-it’s very good to know I’m not alone in my anxiety. I found a counseling center that focuses on the mind/body connection, so I’m hopeful they can help. It was another long night last night. I just can’t shake the “what-ifs.”
Bob-I appreciate the reassurance, and I’m glad you’re doing well.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:40 pm

It has been 2 years since I was diagnosed and 5 months post FMT and I still have anxiety/OCD/PTSD cleaning attacks. I had a particularly bad day a few weekends ago when my stepfather grabbed raw meat then proceeded to touch all over the kitchen and refused to wash his hands- I had a panic attack and was hysterical until I could clean it all up. I still feel like I missed areas, but with time you learn to cope. There will be people that will never understand the stress it puts on you. My stepdad even had cdiff himself while in the hospital and does not follow proper cleaning procedure!
I can honestly say I bet he does not even wash his hands after using the restroom (which does not help my OCD or PTSD).
This site is good to talk it out. Get some clinical bleach wipes and clean. And just take it day by day.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:13 pm

If people only did the right and cleanly things...C-Diff wouldn't be an issue.
Sorry you have to deal with that nonsense.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”