Relapse????

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Arin
New User

Relapse????

Postby Arin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi C. Diff Buds,
I'm just recovering from my last bout (had it once years ago, then re-infected last month). The second time was severe enough that I was in ICU. Anyway..... I've been out of the hospital for 3 weeks and it's been about one week since my last dose of Vancomycin/Flagyl.

I was told to expect a somewhat rocky recovery, so I haven't worried too much about relapse. But the diarrhea came back yesterday (explosive!) and woke me up in the middle of sleep again last night. Super painful in the rectal area. Today same thing. Not like before - with 30 BMs every day - and I don't feel nearly as sick as I did in the hospital but...... some of these symptoms seem to be ramping up. And the bleeding is new.

Since the infection almost killed me last month, I'm afraid of it coming back for a third time (yikes!) and I could really benefit from hearing from others who have been there!! In your experience...... Is it normal to get these spells of diarrhea during recovery? normal for rectum to hurt SO much you cant sleep?? I saw a GI a few days ago who said she will not test me unless I'm super super sick again.

tell me about YOU! these replies are so helpful and i really appreciate those of you that have taken the time to write me.

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Relapse????

Postby amg » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi there,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm sure others with more experience will be around to help soon. I just wanted to say that it's difficult sometimes to tell a relapse from a severe bout of post-infectious IBS. It is pretty common to have early morning IBS symptoms, but then things usually get better as the day progresses. Relapses typically don't get better through the course of the day. The bleeding is concerning, and it's unclear if that's from your intestines or something like hemorrhoids or an anal fissure from all the diarrhea. Other clues to tell us if relapse or not include any symptoms that went along with your c diff infection besides the diarrhea - like fever/chills, abdominal puffiness, extreme fatigue. Those are common with relapses but not with IBS. Did you eat something spicy or fatty or too fibery? (like salad or veggies) Those things can wreak havoc on your newly recovering intestines. It's a good idea to keep with a very bland diet and if you're going to eat veggies, make sure they're really well-cooked.

However - given how ill you were, it's best for you to speak with a doc asap about any new bad symptoms.

Good luck and I hope you feel better fast.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:27 pm

If your D continues and your GI won't run a test, go to an urgent care.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi Arin and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Both posters have given good information, with the history of being in the ICU, then this new episode with, D, pain and bleeding, I would get it checked out. When you saw your GI were you having these symptoms? Did they do an exam? I would call the GI back and explain your concerns, if they don't respond, consider a second opinion. If these symptoms persist, ER or urgent care would do an exam and additional testing.

NanciT

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi Arin, sounds like you have been through a VERY difficult time with C Diff this time around. For me, the defining characteristic of relapse is progressive symptoms. I am surprised your doctor wouldn't say the opposite since this landed you in ICU and want to test if you were having any watery D. You didn't indicate you have any other health problems going on that could contribute to your symptoms. Had you taken an antibiotic for something that triggered the new infection episode? My last time around with C Diff I had a hemorrhoid, and that was so painful I will never forget it! They can be a little irritating with normal function but if you are having excessive D it's a different story. And, try to stay hydrated as much as you can through this!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Arin,
welcome to the site.

Many of us who Had/have c diff have IBS afterwards. (One out of five.) See CDI - three day rule, and CDI - IBS. See. viewtopic.php?p=4787#p4787. Symptoms are similar to c diff.
This will give you some type of guidance.

If you become worse, call your doc. Ask to be tested. See CDI - Testing.viewtopic.php?f=4&t=135#p42285

We all are terrified of developing c diff again. It is one ugly disease, but you will recover. Hang in there and let ius know how you are doing. We will support you.

Best of luck.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:17 pm

I hope Arin comes back and lets us know how things are going.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”