C.diff and PPIs

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
killian
Brand New Poster

C.diff and PPIs

Postby killian » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:02 pm

I had C. diff 5 years ago. Relapsed twice. Took 5 months to clear up with a Vancomycin taper.
I need to be on a Pronton Pump Inhibitor for GERD and Possible Barrett's Esophagus (waiting to get test results on that).
I have tried Prilosec 3 times.....the first time after 3 weeks had an attack of D. that in its pain and intensity reminded me of how I felt 5 years ago.Got off the Prilosec took Pepto and in 4 days I was ok.
Two months later I tried the Prilosec again....in 8 days the same kind of D attack.
Had a stool sample tested ....it came back negative for c. diff.
So.... I took the Prilosec and 24 hours later ....the same kind of really nasty attack of D.
Here is my question I see the National Institute of health says there is a correlation between PPIs and c. diff. My GI doc made a face when I said that. How do I protect the upper gut with GERD while not jeopardizing my lower gut with c.diff.
I believe that even though I tested negative I am having mild breakouts of the spores....each time coming on faster after exposure to the PPI then the time before. I take probiotics and upped them during this time.
Is there anyone who has this conflict between the upper and lower GI tract?
Thanks

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: C.diff and PPIs

Postby AllisS » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:16 am

Hi killian, welcome to the site. Please read the first section, for all new posters, on the board.

I've been following the coverage of possible PPI links to C. diff as well as other conditions and diseases (e.g., bone loss and depletion of vitamins D and B) for many years, since I took a series of PPIs, due to various GI drs' recommendations, for many years, before deciding to get off of them. (I've not taken them for over three years now.) You're correct that it's a correlation vs. a definitive cause-and-effect between PPIs and C. diff, at least so far, but it's certainly cause for concern, as is the association you've noticed between your PPI intake and attacks of D.

As to what you might take instead that could be less harmful, possibly Zantac, which is weaker than PPIs and therefore may also be less likely to predispose to C. diff (though the jury is still out on that one), or another OTC drug such as Tums (though too much of the latter can also cause adverse effects).

It is actually controversial as to how beneficial PPIs are for GERD; there are hundreds of articles that address this issue, if you're inclined to do a Google search. If your test result for Barrett's is positive, you may want to take a medication. If not, then I would get at least one other opinion -- perhaps from an infectious-disease doctor or a second GI doctor -- as to whether you actually "need" a PPI for GERD. Since this isn't a medical site but rather a support site, neither I nor anyone else can give advice about medical matters. All I'm trying to convey is that there seems to be a growing awareness in the medical field that PPIs are problematic, so if I were you I wouldn't go by the recommendation of any one doctor.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

killian
Brand New Poster

Postby killian » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks....have stayed away from PPIs since C.diff 5 years ago....but now seem to need the help of some sort of anti acid drug.
Will see what I can find that works for my duling conditions.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:09 pm

I think it's important to get those results in and then speak with your GI. I was on Aciphex for 7 years. I don't believe my CDIFF was from Aciphex, it was CIPRO but the PPI's don't help. I had CDIFF in 2014 for nearly a year, very tough for me to get rid of but I had 3 GI's who felt I should not get off the aciphex at that time. I had another endoscopy 6 months ago and this time they said I could wean off and move on to Pepcid AC which I am currently on. I had no symptoms on the aciphex and do struggle with the Pepcid but my biggest concern was the endoscopy.
I think it gets down to your biopsy results. If they are negative, talk about one of the OTC's.

Wishing you the best with this

NanciT

brae
New User

Postby brae » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi killian. I had a month-long bout with C. Diff in 2015, then developed bloating and stomach pains last year, for which I was put on a ppi. I was feeling so much better a month later that I tried to come off it, but then got GERD. It felt as though the ppi had made what might have been a bacterial imbalance worse. I've also read that ppi's can weaken the LES.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”