Prevent another C-Diff when on antibotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Roxanne
Regular User

Prevent another C-Diff when on antibotics

Postby Roxanne » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:56 pm

What do people do when your not active with C-Diff, probably still have spores and have to go on antibiotics?

I know probotics and yogurt, but wondering if anyone took Difficid with the antibiotic to prevent relapse, if that worked for them. Or anything else that helped you to keep it from coming back.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Prevent another C-Diff when on antibotics

Postby georgina » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:48 am

Mostly people that had Cdiff in the past avoid taking antibiotics unless there is a life and death situation and antibiotics are really needed. Most of them are looking for a low offender and increase their probiotic intake during and after the course of antibiotics. A few of did take antibiotics along with Vanco , but that kind of treatment is not guaranteed to keep you safe and also is not recommended by experts.
Check the list of antibiotics that is listed under CDI section.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:49 am

Agree with Georgina, antibiotics should be for serious infections, not for minor things that get better naturally.
People should not expect antibiotics to be prescribed.
The phrase "need an antibiotic" or "have to go on antibiotics" is a worrying one.
Very few illnesses fall into that Catagory.
Taking vanco or dificid alongside a high offender
might help while your taking it but the window for c.diff infection (overgrowth) is still there when you stop.
Some study's have shown it to cause more harm than good and increase the chances of a relapse.

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks.

I don't know if I have spores left and will need antibiotics somewhere down the road. I'm scared I'm not over this. 7 years, is it really gone...

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:47 pm

None of us know if it will come back with antibiotics, as mentioned above we avoid them and explain to any physician who wants or feels you need them your CDIFF history. I just had oral surgery this week which included an infection. I explained once the surgery was done, we would then talk about if I actually needed to take them depending how serious the infection was. The oral surgeon agreed and so far I have not needed to take them. I still have to return and have it checked to make sure all infection is gone and its healing well.
My point is we live with a different standard and most physicians will understand. I did have to take an antibiotic a year ago but my GI decided Vanco was also causing me issues so I did not take the Vanco, just my probiotic. I have not heard of taking Dificid as preventative due to the extreme cost of the medication.
NanciT

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:20 pm

I think if you absolutely had to take an antibiotic for a bacterial infection, the amount of time from when you had c-diff and the strength and duration of the antibiotic would have to come into play when discussing with your doctor if you should take vanco or dificid along with the antibiotic. However, if it was me that needed an antibiotic, I would not take the vanco or dificid. I would rather just increase the probiotics and hope for the best. I feel like taking vanco or dificid unnecessarily isn't good either. They have their own side effects and I would never want to build up a resistance to either of those meds. Last April, I had a terrible sinus infection that was confirmed by my ENT. I literally tried everything to get rid of it and let it go way longer than I should have. My ENT gave me a z-pack because of my c-diff history, since it's a lower offender. It worked thank God, and I did not get c-diff. I increased my probiotics during and after the z-pack. As Nancy said, I doubt Dificid would ever be given as a preventative med though.

Lisa

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”