Can Oil of OREGANO CAUSE RELAPSE

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Soimez
Contributor

Can Oil of OREGANO CAUSE RELAPSE

Postby Soimez » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi its been about 16 months since my last bout of C diff and instead of doing my success stories that I was gonna post at the end of this year I find myself back on here worrying about C diff. A few weeks ago I had a sore throat for about a week that wouldn't go away so I decided to gets some oil of oregano instead of going on an antibiotic. So i took that for about 4 or 5 days.. My sore throat went away and and been about a week and a half now and I've been having stomach issue for the past few days. Today i had some diarreha with some mucous.. So can i be relapsing after all this time because the oregano oil alter my gut flora?

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Re: Can Oil of OREGANO CAUSE RELAPSE

Postby Zapper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:40 pm

I doubt it since I have been able to take oil of oregano here and there and have had no issues. If it continues or you feel very concerned you should reach out to your GI.
Could it possibly be food/stress related? I get IBS flare that are very bad... I think I am relapsing every time but will get better 24-48 hours later. I know others like to follow the 3 rule. If symptoms have been going on longer than 3 days you might want to go see a doc just to rule it out.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks for the reply Zapper I'm not having that foul smell and I did eat a little cayanne pepper yesterday so hopefully that's all it is.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:48 pm

A known side effect of medicinal oregano is an upset stomach.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks Roy yes i read that as well but i haven't had any oregano oil for almost 2 weeks now... Its the mucus that is causing me the concern and my stomach feel a little swole... not having anymore D just yet and my gas isn't smelly so those are two good signs..

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 pm

I do remember in past years a couple of posters thinking that oil of oregano caused a relapse, but I don't think it was ever for sure. You can put it into the search box to see if you find any old posts. It might have irritated your intestines. Maybe it is even the same bug that caused your sore throat. If it continues, call your GI.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 am

Doubt that a few drops of oil of oregano are strong enough to cause a relapse. As others said , it might have flared up IBS , try no panic and just keep a eye on symptoms , if D doesn't show signs of subsding you can get tested , at least for your peace of mind.

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Well I always seem to go overboard with things that why I think I may of use too much but it was the recommend dosage.. anyway keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully I will be putting up a success story soon..

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”