Vancomycin helping but also uncomfortable

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
emabry
New User

Vancomycin helping but also uncomfortable

Postby emabry » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:19 pm

I have been on 125 Vanco 4x/day for a few days now. My D is subsiding and I am finding myself in the bathroom a lot less which is great! I have been having a LOT of gas though - today it has been awful, painful gas upper and lower gi. Is this a side effect of Vanco?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vancomycin helping but also uncomfortable

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:48 pm

It was for me. After a few days I also got soreness.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 am

You could still be having some GI upset while on vanco because your gut is still irritated , there are some meds that can help with gas and bloating but not sure if they need to be prescribed by a doctor or they can be given over the counter , Gas X is one that can help with gas issues or another thing that can help you is fennel tea. When I have gas and rumbling I drink one or two cups of fennel tea and it helps a lot. Also , be careful with your food choices , stick to a bland diet that is easy to digest , avoid high fiber , sweet treats , fast food, not to mention alcohol beverages , all those can create disturbance in your already irritated gut.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:50 am

Sounds like a normal part of recovery.

emabry
New User

Postby emabry » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for the reassurance! Bland diets are SO hard! I don’t drink much alcohol except for a small glass of red wine (which I drink slowly over an hour or so, always with food) which actually seems to help my symptoms. Any diet/meal suggestions?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:22 am

Stop drinkind alcohol unless you want more cramps!
Bland foods : cooked rice , baked potatoes , boiled or steamed carrots , vegetables soup , noodles , hard boiled eggs , scrambled eggs , toast , white meats (turkey , chicken , fish ) boiled , grilled or baked , peanut butter , yogurt/kefir if you are not lactose intolerant, cooked zucchini .
See CDI-Nutrition and recipes

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”