Might be getting a bladder infection?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Kristin
Regular User

Might be getting a bladder infection?

Postby Kristin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:22 am

Quick recap: I haven't been on here in a month or so because I've been focusing on trying to get better. I have a 5 month old and am currently on a long vanco taper in which I only have 3 days left and I'm done. Praying that this taper has done the trick after 3 times getting cdiff in the last 4 months. It's been a ride. :) a very bumpy, awful ride.

I started feeling bladder infection symptoms 2 days ago and am terrified because of having to go on antibiotics for that. Last time I got mastitis right after finishing my first vanco treatment and the cdiff came back with a vengeance because they put me on antibiotics 3 days after finishing my vanco treatment. I do NOT want a repeat of that. But the last time I had a bladder infection 2 years ago it moved into my kidneys. Any advice from anyone on here of what I should do? My gyno has been wonderful through all this (She had cdiff in med school so she gets it) and I know she will treat me well if I go in. I'm going to make an appt. With her anyways but just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this happening before.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Might be getting a bladder infection?

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 am

Sorry you are going through this. First I want to tell you VANCO can cause bladder irritation which can feel like an infection. Look up VANCO on Drugs.com. Bladder pain, frequency, burning is at the top of the list. Mine didn't start until I was off a 3 month taper. There are several on the site who had similar reactions which can continue for awhile

First step is to get the Urinalysis done but also request they DO a Culture and Sensitivities. Especially if the UA shows any white or red cells. What we have seen over and over on this site is people believe they have a UTI but the tests are often negative or do show red cells(blood). I would have them culture especially if they want to treat you.

I did have a positive culture( Over 60,000 colonies of growth) and was treated with an antibiotic 2 years ago and thankfully all went well. I took probiotics in between doses. But since then I have had countless NEGATIVE cultures and my Urologist believes the bladder was irritated from Vanco.

With your history of kidney infections, always explain that and request a culture. Once we have had CDIFF, it is the best way to go to avoid antibiotics unless the are necessary

Wishing you the best with this

NanciT

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Might be getting a bladder infection?

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Forgot to mention one thing. Talk with your MD about D MANNOSE. Its a supplement that several on the site take to maintain healthy bladder. I am still taking it after 3 years.

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”