Life with a newborn and C Diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Newmom24
Brand New Poster

Life with a newborn and C Diff

Postby Newmom24 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:17 pm

I just had my first baby five weeks ago. I came down with mastitis and was prescribed Clindamycin to treat it. About a week after I stopped the antibiotic, I got sick and was diagnosed with C diff. I am currently taking a fourteen day course of Vancomycin and feeling much better.

My question is, how do I live my life with a newborn? I understand that many newborns are born with C diff in their systems, and healthy people are generally not susceptible. So, I'm not terribly worried about my son or husband getting sick. But I'm very concerned about getting it again. Especially in the time period between when I finish the Vanco, and when my GI tract has been repopulated by enough healthy bacteria to keep me from getting it.

I practice good hand hygiene, but how do you do that with a newborn? I feel like I am constantly covered in his poop. I gave him a bath yesterday, and he pooped on me. I changed his diaper, and he pooped on me. It's nonstop. I can sterilize my bathroom and kitchen, but I can't stop changing my sons diapers. Do any other moms have any advice who have gone through this? I am absolutely terrified of getting sick again. Being sick and trying to take care of him at the same time is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

How long after the vanco will it take me to get my gut populated with healthy bacteria? Anyone have any advice on what to do to keep myself safe? Thanks in advance!

roy
Administrator

Re: Life with a newborn and C Diff

Postby roy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:50 pm

We have quite a few new moms join who got c.diff exactly how you got it!
They all got well.
The main way of preventing cross infection is immaculate hand hygiene, if you don't transfer c.diff to your mouth it's not a problem.
If your husband does his share of diapers it instantly halves your chances of getting it;-)
Taking florestor for a few months might help.
Its good you were started on vanco and not flagyl, it has a lower relapse rate and is ok for nursing mothers.
It also kills far less good flora, 80% of the gut flora species are not killed by vanco so even while you take it some of your good flora is recovering.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Newmom24 Welcome to the site! Please read the first thread for all new posters

I am sorry you had to find us, as Roy mentioned we have had a lot of New Mom's on the site and I am sure they will jump in. Some for the exact reason you are here. Give the Vanco time to work, it can take time. Its so difficult with a newborn but hopefully your husband or family can help support you because plenty of rest is something you need. Lots of fluids too. If you are drinking water , make sure its smartwater.

I do hope you feel better soon...things will get better!!

NanciT

cody1
Regular User

Postby cody1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:37 pm

I think it would be a good idea to take some probiotics. As Roy said, florastor would be a good idea and kefir and VSL#3 are good options as well.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:02 pm

I would recommend buying disposable gloves for diaper changing, bath time etc. Costco has very good prices for disposable gloves.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello! I had c diff throughout my pregnancy and postpartum and would like to share. Diligently wash your hands after every diaper change. I bleach the changing table on a regular basis. This I do not just because of cdiff, but for everything else too (babies are germ magnets) and the last thing you need is an infection where you would have to take another antibiotic.
I do also take probiotics, though some doctors don't see the evidence that it is helpful.

Def give yourself enough time to relax. Ask hubby to help out whenever possible. You can always PM me too :)
My son is now 2 weeks shy of 1 yr old and its been a CRAZY journey.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”