Probiotics recommendation

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
juweee
New User

Probiotics recommendation

Postby juweee » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:29 pm

Greetings,

Recap...
Female, 46 (now 47)
July 2017: Diagnosed with appendicitis + peritonitis, then diagnosed with cdiff through stool sample after IV antibiotic treatment, started combination of Vanco/Flagyl/Augmentin (variations of, due to side effects) cocktail for about 7 weeks
Had colonoscopy in early September (unpleasant but went well and no side effects or relapse)
Finally had my appendix removed this week (still nervous about getting single dose of antibiotics during surgery... too early to report, will update when I fully emerge, until then: probiotics!)

~~~

I searched for input on probiotics on this forum, but the word 'probiotic' is so widely used that it won't pull a search query. I have been religiously taking Florastor (3000mg/day), Bio-k (50B/day), 2 cups kefir, 1 bottle of kombucha, sourkraut/kimchi daily, in addition to a bunch of prebiotic foods: oatmeal, flax, honey, bananas, etc. Thankfully, I am having no issues holding any of these down.

I heard from a dietician that I should 'switch up' my probiotics every 3 months so that my body gets used to different strains. Has anyone heard this before? If so, any brands from Florastor and Bio-k would be recommended to include in my rotation? I noted VSL3 mentioned on this board. Any others?

Thanks!
Julie

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Probiotics recommendation

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:53 pm

VSL#3 might be a good switch from Bio-K, but there is nothing to substitute the Florastor because it is a yeast. You could try a different brand that perhaps has other things in it as well.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:23 am

You seem to be taking a massive amount of probiotics. Maybe a bit of overkill ...
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:34 am

Wow , you are really taking a lot of probiotics , is great that you are not getting GI discomfort from them. Most of us would be on the toilet all day with the amount of probiotics you are taking.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:18 am

How long have you been taking that amount of probiitics?
It sound way too much!
You must have guts of steel!
Florestor might help and kefir is good, prebiotics are simply normal healthy food so easy keep up.

juweee
New User

Postby juweee » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:22 am

I have been taking this much probiotics since I went to the ER on 7/7. I am sure it seems like a lot, but don't forget I have been on Augmentin (at the same time as Vanco) for 7 weeks until end of August. Then I had a colonoscopy on 9/7, and I just had surgery this past Monday 9/25 (with a dose of antibiotics). I am only now catching a break from any disruption to my flora and I am not sure I am out of the woods yet. I am thinking that in a week (assuming no relapse) I can lower my Florastor and switch Bio-k to something else with a lower dose for maintenance. The other foods I'll probably just maintain for good measure although I'll probably grow tired of fermented cabbage at some point!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:02 pm

I am with the others and not sure that so much is any better than a moderate amount. When I had to get IV antibiotics during surgery I upped my usual regime of 1 Align in the morning and 1 Florastor in the evening to adding another Florastor in the morning as well, several weeks before surgery and continuing for a few months after surgery. If I ate what you are eating I would be a gas bag and I do eat healthy foods.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:17 pm

I was a complete probiotics skeptic when I first came onto this site five years ago. However, I decided, about two years ago, to start taking a daily dose of VSL3, mostly due to anecdotal reports of others on the site. Then, a few months prior to my hip-replacement surgery last October, a somewhat non-mainstream doctor whose opinion I respect recommended Florastor, citing studies showing it as the only probiotic backed by studies as having a protective effect against C. difficile in hospitalized patients. I was very apprehensive about the surgery because of the wide-spectrum antibiotic I knew I'd be given and the prospect of several days in the hospital while taking it. He said to begin with one capsule of Florastor per day about six weeks prior to surgery and to increase to two caps at around three weeks. I don't know if following this regimen had anything to do with my having no ill effects from the hospital or antibiotic experience but it's certainly possible that it helped.

Aside from the above, I'm not aware of any clinical, peer-reviewed studies showing benefits of probiotics or specifying beneficial types or doses. My GI doctor recommended stopping the Florastor some months after my surgery, soI've done that. I continue to take the VSL, for no compelling reason -- only because I figure it can't hurt.

I came across a statement a few years ago that's stuck with me; it was in an article quoting a doctor who said (I paraphrase here) that probiotics are about as effective as a bullet would be against a speeding locomotive. Hopefully, there will be some definitive studies in near future that speak to the actual efficacy of probiotics, whether pro or con.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

juweee
New User

Postby juweee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks everyone. I am going to give the VSL a try once I am done with my supply of BIOk. I realize I wrote that I am taking 3000mg of Florastor, but I am actually taking 1500 (3x 2 pills per day), which is the dosage they prescribed when I came out of the hospital.

The last few days have been interesting to say the least. Major constipation post-surgery. I stayed away from the percacets to prevent any more constipation than necessary. But after 3-4 days of chronic constipation, I took one dose of Miralax at night, and the next day I took two half doses of milk of magnesia during the day. Well, all hell broke loose and later that night and I had full blown D, 3 times over and into the next morning. I was so bummed and definitely on high alert... But thankfully it subsided and everything seems to be under control since then. I am going to keep up with my diet and regimen for the next few weeks until I see the surgeon on 10/12 and then I am sure I'll feel more comfortable reducing my probiotics consumption...

I am optimistic about the outlook! Thanks everyone for all great resources on this site, it's been a god sent!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:54 pm

As long as you realize the d was almost definitely from the overkill of following the Miralax with MOM....!!!

Now that you are off those meds just don't be surprised or alarmed if your stools are still a bit wacky. That's what happens in recovery.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:58 pm

Next time you get constipated try to relieve yourself without taking laxatives that can create more unbalance in the gut flora , try aloe juice , prune juice , fiber supplement.

juweee
New User

Postby juweee » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:57 am

Thanks everyone for the advice.

AllisS, where do you find the VSL3? I went to WholeFoods. Mrs Green's and another local food store and could not find any. I am not sure I would trust buying from Amazon, since I read of people receiving their probiotics shipped unrefrigerated. Somehow the VSL website was down on the day where I was visiting all these store so it may me wonder how legit the company was...

I ended up buying Garden of Life RAW for women, 85 billion (but that's with 3 capsules, and I think only one per day is sufficient for now).

Wondering about Florastor, obviously diff strain than the Garden of Life and I want to maintain to help prevent relapse. I was taking 6 capsules per day during my ordeal, which is 1500mg, the equivalent of 30 billions (according to my research). When I am reading about probiotics like BioK, they suggest 15 billion as 'maintenance' level. Do other people go by these recommendations? So basically 3 Florastor every day? Based on some of the comments above, it seems like that would be a lot (and pretty expensive lifestyle to maintain). Any thoughts?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 am

I get VSL#3 from Costco. They also sell it on Amazon. Those are the two places I have found it

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”