11 years later and symptoms are back.....

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
nsewell
Long Time Contributor

11 years later and symptoms are back.....

Postby nsewell » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Anyone ever relapse after many years of cdiff free? I haven't been on any antibiotics for many years but I'm starting to have all the symptoms I had previously with cdiff. Thought It was a long bout of ibs but starting to think otherwise since I'm not getting better. Currently taking pepto and probiotics to try and get back to my normal, but idk. I'm confused.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Re: 11 years later and symptoms are back.....

Postby justme » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:06 pm

nsewell:
I doesn't sound like a relapse or new onset of C. Diff after so many years and no antibiotic intake. However, it could be a virus (or food poisoning) that mimics the symptoms of C. Diff. My recommendation would be to see your doctor and get a test for C. Diff if for no other reason than to ease your mind. Hope you feel better soon.
Aloha,
Anne

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 pm

11 years is a long time. There are many reasons the GI system get's upset. It's probably not CDIFF and if you have had IBS it could be acting up. Give it a little time, continue what you are doing and hopefully it will pass. If not, see your GI if symptoms continue, it would be something entirely different.

I hope you feel better soon

Nancit

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:15 am

Agree with others , highly unlikely that Cdiff might cause you trouble after 11 years and no antibiotic exposure , it may be virus or something you ate. You can get tested for a peace of mind but I am almost sure that it will come back negative.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:26 am

Personally, I would probably call my GI and ask to be tested not only for c diff, but to do a stool culture for other pathogens and perhaps even ova and parasites. I got a campylobacter infection after c difficile and the symptoms were about the same.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:04 am

Checked your case history and every single test you have had starting from 2006 has been negative! But you have still been treated many times!
We can't diagnose but I think it's fairly safe to say c.diff is unlikely to be causing your symptoms.
False negatives are possible but for repeated tests spanning many years to be false negatives is as close to impossible as you can get.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:31 pm

Thank you all for responses. After all these years it's sad that cdiff has to still be on my mind. It's been almost 2 weeks of symptoms so if I'm not better or get worse around Monday I will get checked for my piece of mind. Usually when it's ibs it lasts for about 4 days or so. So this kinda freaked me out. If I end up having to be tested I'll certainly let you know the outcome. Love this support group. You certainly saved my sanity years ago and here I am 11 years later and needed your advice again. So thank you....

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:21 am

Sorry your symptoms are not subsiding , hope you get relief soon. As Beth said , if you decide to get tested ask do it for more then just Cdiff. Culture for other pathogens , food allergies ,maybe the calprotectin test to check if there is any inflammatory bowel disease.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”