Curious - how many people here are functioning close to normal

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Grammie1
Brand New Poster

Curious - how many people here are functioning close to normal

Postby Grammie1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:29 am

Hi. I started functioning somewhat normal for about a week maybe two when my bowels started acting up again. Once I started spending hours In the bathroom the depression and fear set in, I became weak because I was afraid to eat and now I am back to doing nothing. I am afraid of living like this for the rest of my life. I don't know if I can leave the house. Then I will have a good day and think it's finally over....but the cycle returns....anyone else out there...,,

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Curious - how many people here are functioning close to normal

Postby Musings » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:42 am

Are you currently battling an infection and/or being treated? If you are spending hours in the bathroom would encourage you to speak with your doctor and/or get tested to see if you are going through a relapse of c.diff and if so you really shouldn't be out in public until treatment resolves active symptoms to prevent spreading it communally.

As far as functioning normally, it took 6+ months for me after treatment to get back to 95% of my pre-c.diff self but I still get heightened anxiety if my bowels are upset, full blown panic attacks over possible antibiotic usage, and still deal with PI-IBS though it gets better with every passing week. Like some others, I sought anti-anxiety medication and therapy to help with my increased anxiety and depression and do believe it has helped.

Know it's not the best thought, but c.diff recovery is a day by day experience especially in early recovery and it's normal to be worried, depressed, etc. but if you have or concerned about having an active infection then you should seek treatment.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Welcome to the site, Grammie1. So sorry you had to deal with c-diff. Please read the first forum for all new users on standard intro, rules of posting, etc.

What you are describing sounds just about right for many of us that have gone through c-diff and recovered. I had c-diff back in Sept 2014. I relapsed once, and pretty much battled it for the entire Fall season. In the beginning, I had more bad days than good for sure. My mornings were really tough. I would go several times and have terrible nausea. The rest of the day would be better though. I definitely had post-infectious IBS. I thought I was relapsing a couple of times, one time in particular. It is hard to distinguish between a relapse and IBS. Usually with IBS, there are good days and you don't have the profuse watery D with the urgency to go throughout the day. As time went on, the good days started to outweigh the bad ones. And then it turned into bouts of IBS. However, it took me 8 months to have just 1-2 BMs daily. I had a new normal after c-diff. My gut never went back to how it was prior to this awful illness. I continue to take probiotics daily, even now being 3 years out. Everybody's recovery is different, but it does take time for most to feel mostly normal.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:02 pm

I, too, am a "grammie."

Lisa is right.recovery is a long, slow process. I 've had x diff 3x since 1993. Worked during the first two bouts- office was across from the women's bathroom, thank God.

If you think u have c diff again , ask to be tested. See "CID - tests" for more info.

Don't let c diff resin your life anymore than it already has."Get out "amoung 'me" as soon as you feel able to do so. Know where every bathroom is wherever you are.

C Diff is a horrible paralysising disease. Good luck in your recovery. And you will recover!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 pm

I am almost on the same schedule as Lisa being diagnosed in March of 2014. I am still dealing with IBS on and off. There are periods of time when all is well and then something will set it off.

It can be a long recovery

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”