[New Diagnosis] Atypical Symptoms, Constipation

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Angelina
Brand New Poster

[New Diagnosis] Atypical Symptoms, Constipation

Postby Angelina » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi all,

I am a female 30 yo who has not been on antibiotics recently, nor have I been in a medical facility. A week ago I came down with severe diarrhea, followed by the same for most of the next day (at least 20x/day.) I vomited several times and my fever crept steadily up to 102.8 degrees within 3 hours before thankfully starting to taper off. I had severe body aches, dizziness and nausea. My partner took me to urgent care where they gave me antinausea meds and 3 bottles of Gatorade. They drew blood, but had to pause because I hyperventilated and briefly passed out. They diagnosed me with gastroenteritis but asked for a stool sample. At that point after almost 24 hrs of symptoms, my diarrhea and vomiting had subsided. I was consitpated until the next day when I thought I might be able to stomach a little bit of chicken soup. I had a BM and sent that off to the dr. Two days later my stool sample tested positive for C Diff, and the clinician prescribed me Flagyl (3x/day for ten days, standard it seems.) They made an appointment for me to follow up with a Gastroenterologist tomorrow morning (Monday.)

I am sure I will find out more tomorrow morning, but I am curious if anyone else has had a similar instance like mine: after the initial couple days of every symptom, I have been constipated and unable to produce a BM. Thankfully no fever, but I have had abdominal pain which seems to be off and on. I am on my third day of Flagyl and have noticed a marked absence of hunger and nausea which comes and goes. Some cramping.

I have never had the best gut flora (been on Omeprazole for years) and am a little concerned because normally I can produce 1-2 normal BMs per day. A week of constipation is definitely not normal for me, and most of the literature and case studies seem to center on recurring diarrhea. Anyone who has had a similar experience, I would love your perspective! Thanks!

heatherc
New User

Re: [New Diagnosis] Atypical Symptoms, Constipation

Postby heatherc » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:39 pm

After my initial treatment when I was first diagnosed I relapsed 2 weeks later. I didn't have the slightest clue I was relapsing. It presented completely different the 2nd starting with constipation. Even the ER dr didn't think it was C diff. They thought it was diverticulitis. Came back positive for C Diff 24 hours later. When I relapsed the 3rd time I knew right away what it was.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Hello Angelina and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Everyone reacts differently to the medications. Everything you describe sounds like CDIFF, where you picked it up is unknown. If you had severe D and then nothing the next day you may not have had anything left of you were on fluids and had been vomiting. This occurred with me several times during my relapses with CDIFF because I had vomiting each and everytime. I did not have a lot of diarrhea. Maybe 3/4 times in the morning only but I had vomiting. For me this was my sign, I also did not have any odor that many speak of.

I am glad you are seeing the GI, that is what I always recommend. Hope the appt goes well

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:23 pm

I had C, but a lot of mucus. More than one doctor said it can present as C in some and that is not good because toxins stay in. In your case, you are on medication. Ask your GI. Maybe for some Flagyl can give C.

Ae123
New User

Postby Ae123 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:43 am

Depending on what anti nausea meds you were given, it could also be that. When I take Zofran I get C. I also went to the ER where they gave me anti nausea meds and it made me have C even with Cdiff

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”