IBS

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Bobbie
Administrator

IBS

Postby Bobbie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:03 pm

https://irritablebowelsyndrome.net/spot ... 8c84bff044

Have been miserable for weeks. Once again diagnosed with IBS.

Trying to write a report on all the support groups. One has a help line staffed by nurses.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: IBS

Postby georgina » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:35 am

Bobbie
I'm so sorry you are not feeling well , you need to get relief of symptoms . I remember Rita suggested Xifaxin , you should discuss with you doctor about a course of Xifaxin it can improve your symptoms significantly. It worked for me too , every time I take it gets me relief of symptoms within 2-3 days! In july I had a few really bad days where I though I was gonna relapse full blown but after 10 days of Xifaxin I felt MUCH better.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:11 am

Bobbie - Have you ever tried that OTC medical food IBGard. My GI had recommended it for me when I was having bouts of IBS. Fortunately, I never got to use it because I winded up feeling better. I think a few posters on this site use it. Maybe worth a try.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:48 pm

Bobbie, I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. I agree maybe you should try IBgard if you haven't. I tried it for a little while and it did help with most of my IBS symptoms. I had to stop because it was making my stomach hurt. Peppermint contains salicylates which unfortunately have a negative effect on me. With that said, it did make my BM's solid and regular. I was able to have a complete BM every morning and I only went that one time in a day. So it worked great in that department for me. It did seem to help with bloating and gas as well when I used it. I wish it didn't make my upper stomach hurt because it worked wonders for everything else. Anyway, I hope you get better soon. (((((HUGS)))))

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Dobies, did you take the IBGard before or after meals? I have a box here and am going to try it. How often did you take it? With every meal?

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:54 pm

Beth, I took it 30-45 minutes before every meal. I took two instead of one though. If you aren't sensitive to salicylates or aspirin then I'd say give it a try! It did wonders for MOST of my symptoms. Part of the reason it bothered me MAY be because I have chronic gastritis/GERD. Some say it helps with reflux though, so I guess it just effects everyone differently. Another weird thing with me is that I can take Pepto Bismol liquid, and it doesn't bother me that much, but if I take the pills you swallow, then I'll get a stomachache.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 pm

I'm debating about taking another course of it. In all my wisdom, I decided to lose 4 lbs gained from all the wine and food from all my recent traveling, and started eating all fruit and veggies.... I guess it has caused the IBS to re activate so I am giving it another couple of weeks to calm down or I will take the xifaxan. It lasted about a year!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:49 pm

IBS is the gift from C. Diff that just keeps on giving making life miserable for those of us who suffer from it. After nearly 5 years away from C. Diff, I still have it. I can't take any peppermint type remedy as it irritates my urethra. Bentyl has side effects on the cognitive side, but I've decided to use it anyway. I take Bentyl and 1/2 of a Xanax whenever I have an attack of IBS (which is pretty much daily) and it calms my colon down. I also keep track of everything I eat and try to track certain food groups that seem more likely to cause the IBS. For all of you out there who suffer from this condition, I feel your pain. Take care all of you.
Much aloha,
Anne

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:57 pm

I don't remember whether you have ever tried Enteragam. I think it does help me. My GI usually has a free sample box to give out, and since I use it sporadically one box lasts me a while. This summer I have had 2 serious intestinal upsets followed by calm periods. One day in July I had to leave work because I started with cramping and liquid D every 20 - 30 min. I thought I would end up going to ER, but after about 5-6 episodes it slowed down, and I then had lesser IBS symptoms for about 2 weeks before I returned to my new normal. I had eaten some cantaloupe the previous day, so I tested it on my guinea pig husband. He had slight tummy upset (looser stools) for 2 days, so the cantaloupe was possibly the cause of that giant upset. Then a few weeks ago I woke up feeling ill (but no fever) and had 4-5 very loose stools. This continued for a week. I did have a colonoscopy in June, so I was concerned that I had either cleaned out my good flora or picked up a new case of C. diff from an imperfectly sterilized scope. I panicked because we were about to go on vacation, and I wasn't able to get a script for a stool sample - so off I went to the ER. No C diff - probably just the lovely IBS we all seem to have. For me it does help to get tested every now and then when the IBS is particularly awful - the negative test result is calming, which is a good thing. (I wish I had been able to get a script a few weeks ago - when the ER bills arrive, I may not be so calm).

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:03 am

I used Enteragam for about a year. I had to use more than the usual amount and it took longer than expected for it to kick in but once it did it helped me. I took it until I took the 2 week course of xifaxan and then I didn't need anything else.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:24 am

I just got EnteraGam and am going to start it this weekend. I tried it a few years ago and did not notice anything one way or the other.

Ril - Did you take it with meals or in between?

Believe
Regular User

Postby Believe » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:06 am

Beth, how did the EnteraGam go for you? I am considering use of some agent to help calm down cramping and suspected post-IBS.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:05 pm

I wound up not needing it as I went more to the C side. The GI said it didnt' matter when to take it, but I asked some people who had used it and they took it between a meal I don't think it matters, but I would take it at around the same times every day if I were you. It has helped other posters.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”