Post C-Diff Alcohol Intolerace?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
cdiff454
Regular User

Post C-Diff Alcohol Intolerace?

Postby cdiff454 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 am

It's been over two months since my second bout of c-diff and I've been "cured" now since I started dificid, so two months post-infection. I've been totally normal in all my bathroom habits for almost two months now except for one thing...

...I seem to have developed some odd intolerance to alcohol after this recurrence. The original time back in 2016 I didn't experience anything like this. It started almost immediately - originally I blamed it on the dificid but that was so long ago now I don't think that was it.

Basically, I can drink up to two glasses of wine in a day (for example) without having any issues. I haven't done a ton of experimenting, however the effects seem to be the same whether it's wine, beer, or vodka/scotch, so I don't think it's a sulfite allergy or something like that.

If I have three glasses of wine throughout the day then I'll wake up the next morning and promptly vomit 2-3 times. Nothing comes out but maybe a bit of mucous since my stomach is empty by then. Then I'll spend the next day or two with a very upset stomach. If I were to have any more than three glasses (gasp), I'd vomit 5-6 times, again mostly just mucous first thing when waking up. It's very violent - once I didn't even make it to the bathroom.

I'm not normally a big drinker so it's not the end of the world if that's all it is, but still I wonder if something more serious is going on that's causing this as a result of the c diff. And it's only my stomach, not my intestines (it doesn't cause diarrhea or IBS symptoms). Aside from this my system is entirely normal with everything else I eat or drink. It doesn't seem to be getting better with time either.

Any ideas?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Post C-Diff Alcohol Intolerace?

Postby NanciT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:56 am

Alcohol can be harsh on the stomach. If you are doing well with 2 glasses of wine I would think that is pretty good. I can only tell you about my experience.

I am unable to have more than a few sips 3 years post CDIFF, just cannot tolerate it any longer although I will keep trying. I think it's a matter of time.
My gut has not returned to a PRE CDIFF state and my Gi's tell me that may never happen...something I did not want to hear. I was on treatment for 10 months and although I no longer have CDIFF, my GI system is no longer the same.

I think sometimes it takes some longer for whatever reason. I would give it time Two months is not very long into recovery

NanciT

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:19 am

If someone has gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining), which can be caused by a number of things including infections and various medications, and then drinks alcohol, the alcohol causes increased acid production and that is very irritating to the already irritated stomach lining. So that could be a reason you are vomiting.

2 glasses are plenty, though! :)

Gastritis: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... c-20319949

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:48 am

I could not tolerate alcohol, wine is my drink of choice, for close to a year after c diff.
I would have been thrilled to drink 2 glasses before that. In fact, 1 glass would have made me- and my friends- very happy!
My gut was so tender I could barely tolerate anything fun for a long time.

cdiff454
Regular User

Postby cdiff454 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:12 am

Hmmm, perhaps it could be gastritis. Somewhat odd to me that my stomach lining would be all upset as I thought c diff didn't really attack the stomach itself. I wonder if this could also be a lingering side effect of the dificid - the only difference this time around was that I used dificid instead of flagyl/vanco.

I recently tested positive for celiac disease via IgG antibody test and I also have the HLA DQ8 gene so I am undergoing an upper endoscopy in two weeks to confirm whether or not I have it. It could explain a lot of unrelated problems I've had over my life. I'll check that the endoscopy also covers looking at my stomach for any inflammation and not just the small intestine.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:00 am

I think the simple solution is don't drink any alcohol!

Yogini
New User

Postby Yogini » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Brand new to forum. I have also developed intolerance to wine, but i get headache, not gi sx. On dificid after 1st relapse.

cdiff454
Regular User

Postby cdiff454 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Figured I'd update. Had an endoscopy to check for Celiac's (did not have that), but instead found out I have duodenitis and esophagitis (Barret's). I believe I've had the Barret's for a long time, but the duodenitis explains my alcohol issues and that started just about a week into my dificid.

In any case, it's been months but I still have it. I also have chronic bursitis and was taking diclofenac for a while and while it did nothing for the bursitis, it actually made me think my duodenitis was gone. Didn't have any issues. Had to stop taking it due to hemmorhoids and woah I had a glass of whisky and one of vodka one night...and the next morning I got violently ill and vomited at least ten times. I didn't know an empty stomach could have so much fluid in it. So alcohol is still out!

I guess it's here for the long haul and I'll add it to the lengthening list of 'itis's that I seem to be suffering from...

Chronic prostatitis
Chronic hip bursitis
Esophagitis
Duodenitis

Wonder if I have some immune tendency for inflammation lol? Still I don't know why it came on as a result of c diff. I have a follow-up GI appt next week, will see what she says.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”