After nearly 3 years...Ugh.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Tonja13
Regular Contributor

After nearly 3 years...Ugh.

Postby Tonja13 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:31 am

Some of you may remember me! I check-up on the boards every so often, but was REALLY hoping I wouldn't have to post again--at least not this soon. Ugh...
Well, I’ve been diagnosed with an inner ear infection. I went to the doctor. Despite my arguments for alternatives, he insisted on giving me Levaquin. 500 mg once a day, for 10 days. I decided to go home and wait it out to see if I should even start them. (I would like to note—I was not feeling well and had some WD hit before I even went to the doctor…However, I do not think that was CDI-related.)
I’ll make a long shorty as short as possible…I was feeling so ill (head/ear) by Friday morning, I started taking the Levaquin and mega-dosing on probiotics and Florastor. The WD episodes had returned Sunday. No way of knowing if it’s a relapse, or just a continuation of what had already started. After three doses of antibiotics, my head was feeling very much improved. Monday, my stomach was feeling pretty funky, so I decided to hold off on that 4th dose…This morning (Tuesday), I woke up with a headache on just half of my head (with the affected ear)--I feel like my overall condition regressed in regards to my ear. Sigh.
So here it is. Stuck between a rock and a hard place…
Unfortunately, there is no way they can sample your inner ear to determine with certainty whether your infection is viral or bacterial. Considering the possible ramifications of NOT taking the antibiotic, if it is bacterial (deafness, permanent nerve damage/vertigo, meningitis) I’m thinking I’m going to have to get through this round of antibiotics, CDI or not. I checked with my insurance. A round of Dificid—which cost me a $700 co-pay three years ago—is now only $60…So there’s that.

FYI, life update...the baby is now almost 4 and he's beautiful and sweet and we are enjoying him thoroughly! Also, we just bought our dream home two months ago! (Sucky timing for this.)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: After nearly 3 years...Ugh.

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:16 am

Hi Tonia

Yes, I remember you!! So happy the little one is getting so big and thing have been well for until now. I think we all face illness that may require antibiotics but it has been some time since you have had CDIFF and I am hoping something else (virus?) is going on as well. I will also add sometimes antibiotics can cause D and NOT CDIFF. I am sure you are doing everything you can.

I know the fear.....I hate that we have to go through this years later. We all do get sick and sometimes there is no option other than to treat.

Wishing you the best and hoping once you complete the antibiotic all will calm down!

NanciT

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 am

My guess would be bacterial since your ear infection seemed to be getting better after three doses of Levaquin. It's a shame that your doctor couldn't have tried an antibiotic less likely to trigger C-diff. Perhaps, if he suffered thru the horrors of C-diff he would change his prescribing. As it is, you have no choice but to take the Levaquin to protect your ear.

Sorry that you are being put at risk for C-diff. Hopefully you will come out of the ear infection without C-diff and be able to thoroughly enjoy your new home!
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks guys. It does suck. I had a decent run going, but eventually, we all have to face antibiotics again. I have 6 more days of this...yikes.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi..i'm hoping your problems are just a side effect of the medicton. My system is very sensitive now, vitamin D and B12 give me D. when I take them. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:49 pm

From the NHS website

"Antibiotics aren’t always recommended for an inner ear infections as they often clear up on their own"

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Re: After nearly 3 years...Ugh. UPDATE! I made it through a round of antibiotics!

Postby Tonja13 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:45 am

So I finished out the prescription of Levaquin. I continued to have mushy stools all the way through and for about a week after finishing the 10-day course. Then, it all resolved…AGAIN—the “D” had started BEFORE I had ever taken any antibiotics and I did not feel, in any way, that it was due to CDI, nor a reaction to the antibiotics (they never gave me D without it actually being CDI anyway). I think I just picked something up at work--just bad timing.
The whole time I was taking the antibiotics I did a very aggressive regimen of probiotics. I used Florastor and RAW 100 billion and I took A LOT of them.
Since finishing the antibiotics, I have been gradually lowering the dosage of probiotics. At this point, (on a normal dose), the probiotics are actually making me a tiny constipated, which is the effect they normally have on me--it’s a good sign that everything has returned to normal. I am going to attempt to continue to take the recommended daily dose for about a month out from my prescription, just to be on the safe side. HOORAY!

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:42 am

Hi, always great to read good news on here! I am curious, can you tell me specifically what probiotics you have taken including brand? I have been c Diff free since a successful FMT in March, but of course fear the day I will require an antibiotic. Thanks! - Melanie

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Great to hear Tonja !!!

Wishing you continued health!!

NanciT

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:13 pm

I take "Garden of Life - RAW" probiotics. Through the antibiotic treatment I took the "Ultimate Care - 100 million CFUs". I have found them at most of the better health food stores in my area. They are refrigerated. I have also used the other probiotic combos they offer as well. They are all excellent. They have a website, you can order online or search for a store that carries their products in your area.

Yeah, it really helps to hear that things can resemble normal again after CDI. I had a tough case--I relapsed so many times, we actually lost count...over a year of that.

After recovery, I really took care of myself--eating a healthy and low-carb diet, exercised regularly, etc... Although at first I had some PI-IBS and had to give it time to gradually work foods back into my diet, I don't have ANY food sensitivities now. I can eat whatever I want, just as I did before CDiff.

Oh...something along the way that I think REALLY made a difference...I started juicing vegetables. And I STOPPED PEALING ROOT VEGETABLES before eating them (of course, when you get to the point where you can ease them back into your diet). Potatoes, carrots, beets, etc...there is beneficial bacteria that is supposed to reside in your gut to help protect you that can only be replaced from the soil.

Hang in there everyone...

Much Love,
Tonja

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Glad to hear you are doing well, Tonja! Great news!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Wow, more great news! Hate to tell you, but part of raising kids is catching all kinds of crud. Even if yous is healthy, the playgrounds, library, school, food places they like are really just kinda gross. Happy the ear and belly got better, and it sounds like it was bacterial. Levaquin is scary, but meningitis or osteomyelitis is scarier?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”