Let the vanco. Tapering begin!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Kristin
Regular User

Let the vanco. Tapering begin!

Postby Kristin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:17 pm

I saw my infectious disease doctor today for the first time and loved him!! He's completely confident that we are going to eradicate this disease with this vanco taper he's putting me on for the next 2 months. Is anyone familiar with this one and has it been successful?

125mg 4x a day for 14 days (I'm 7 days into this already)
125mg 2x a day for 7 days
125mg 1x a day for 7 days
125mg every other day for 7 days
125mg every 3 days for 14 days.

I hope his confidence pays off and he's right! 3 months of having this and I'm so over it!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Let the vanco. Tapering begin!

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:04 pm

I think it's GREAT you found an ID you like so much, it is a very important part of getting through this and having a DR that supports his patient.

There are a lot of Vanco tapers out there, the one I did for 3 months was with Vanco 250mg. I had nausea and used "Sea Bands" which helped but I recall I was able to eat well on Vanco. My issues came up after I got off it.

There are many on the site that did great on Vanco tapers, I am sure some will jump in here!

Wishing you the best with it!

NanciT

shooten
Regular User

Postby shooten » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:38 pm

I am actually doing that exact taper/pulse protocol. I only have three pills left so I will be done with it in a week. I relapsed twice, once after a 10 day run on flagyl and then again after a 14 day run of flagyl. I felt great throughput the taper. The only time I felt bad was when I first dropped from 1 pill every other day to 1 pill every third day. That was this week. After the two days of no pill when I woke up on pill day BMs were more urgent and frequent. Took my antibiotic that morning and by about 3pm I was feeling much better. Been two days since that pill and I am still feeling really good. Tomorrow morning is pill day. I will say get some florastor, it is a probiotic that is yeast bases so the vanco won't kill it. I take 3 to 4 of those space throughout the day along with a bluebiotic probiotic at lunch and dinner. I am hoping this round of vanco works. I will try to remember to post when I finish to let you know how it went.

Kristin
Regular User

Postby Kristin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:00 am

Thank you both for your responses!! And yes, please do let me know how successful yours has been after you are done. My Id is very confident this will work. I've been taking florastor twice a day for a week and my appetite has been steadily increasing. I'm not noticing any upset with any type of food. This is encouraging. 2 months is just oh so long to be on medicine.

cdiffcat
Brand New Poster

Postby cdiffcat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:03 pm

I am on a different taper but somehow would feel safer on yours after reading about the way it works and that it allows your body to recolonize the cdiff on the off days then nails them with vancomycin on the on days. I had 28 days of 4x a day then a week ago started at 3x a day for 7 days then am supposed to drop to 2x for 7 days then 1 time for 7 days and quit. My symptoms weren't completely gone by the time I started the taper so I am worried the infection wasn't completely gone i.e.: chills, terribly nausea, gas, bright yellow specific smelling stool. Starting 3 days ago ( 3 days into taper) all my symptoms came back.
so miserable. Feel like I will never eat again.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:40 am

Cdiffcat
If you have formed BM and the frequency is normal , the taper is working , smell and color doesn't mean much. Nausea is common while on treatment for Cdiff , most of us experienced it but we controlled it with medication , chills however are not ok especially if they are accompanied by fever. If in addition to these symptoms you start having runny stools it means that your vanco dosage needs to be revised by your doctor as it is possible to be relapsing on the lowest vanco dosage. I'm saying that because I relapsed when I got to 125 mg of vanco per day , even tested positive while on that dosage. Are you taking any probiotics?

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:04 am

I think my taper was 12 weeks.

125mg 4x/day for 4 weeks
500mg all at once every 3 days for 2 weeks
375mg all at once every 3 days for 2 weeks
250mg all at once every 3 days for 2 weeks
125mg once every 3 days for 2 weeks

The ID Doc prescribed kefir and probiotics as part of the taper, too.

It's been almost 9 months since I've had any symptoms, knock on wood.

cdiffcat
Brand New Poster

Postby cdiffcat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:24 am

doctor put me on align. It's so aggravating that the predomination of my symptoms this whole time was not watery diarrhea but explosive barfing. tools, even many formed from day one were really full of mucus.
I am sad to post I was supposed to go from once a day to every other day today but before I had a chance all the symptoms came back. Really, really, really hoping I triggered it with an over eager diet and not a true relapse. But i'm scared. And now have watery diarrhea with the barfing Yay. the thing is, while I have chills I also have lupus so I can't really tell what's what. I had a pancake yesterday, one of those diner ones. Wondering if that could be the cause, seeing as it wasn't white rice or plain white toast. This started 24 hours later. I hate myself for eating that.

thank you everyone for your help

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:03 am

It could be food poisoning from the pancake u ate or a virus , give it a day or two and see if you get better , if your symptoms are not subsiding or if they get worse it's time to call your doctor.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”