Daughter having D again, need advice

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
OCmama
Regular Contributor

Daughter having D again, need advice

Postby OCmama » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 am

So our family has caught a cold-type illness. It started over the weekend, sneezing, sore throats, aches, low grade fevers, some GI upset.

My now almost 4 year old daughter had a very aggressive relapsing C. diff infection for over 6 months.

She has been having D with this cold. We are now on day 4 of her having D. She went 7 times yesterday and once in her pull-up during her nap. This morning she has gone twice already and they have both been nearly liquid. The smell is slightly off, not sure if I am just panicking. Do you think I should call dr. for a kit?

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Daughter having D again, need advice

Postby amg » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:51 am

Oh, you poor thing I know how worried you must be. Take a breath. Try to assess the situation objectively. This bug seems to have GI symptoms as part of it. That's likely all it is! However, does your daughter have any other symptoms/signs of a relapse that is typical for her? My daughter always had several symptoms together from the earliest part of her relapses that helped us distinguish relapse from something else. (puffy abdomen, pale face, fatigue, mild fever/chills)

Also, is there any probiotic regimen she was on during her c diff that you can put her back on now? Diarrheal illnesses do disrupt the flora.
I would discuss this with the doctor you trust most who helped you through her c diff illness. Sending prayers that it's just a quick virus.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 am

When I get colds and flus, I usually get worse GI symptoms. After a GI illness, I did test positive, but all I took was Pepto Bismol and later on tested negative. You might want to get a test kit and see if it is c diff, but check for other things as well. I remember at ER they tested for viral illness - may have been norovirus. I would speak to her doctor though and let him/her know what is going on.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I think you are right about it being part of the virus, but I am nervous that somehow the C. Diff could pop up again from the disruption of her gut flora? (If that is possible?) She's only been on florastor and culturelle for the past couple of months; but I think I will put her back on the VSL#3 I still have both Bio K and VSL in the fridge.

She is pale, and puffy with low energy, and says her stomach feels weird.

But she is not having huge amounts of M, it's just watery and frequent. With her relapses it was HUGE amounts of mucus that would begin the relapse.

Her Ped is on a week long vacation, but I am in regular contact with her ID, I just hate to bug her if it's just a virus. I HATE this stupid pice of **** disease. I hate everything about it.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:02 pm

It IS a horrible stupid piece of **** disease!!

Good that she's on Florastor. My dad spent over a month in the hospital, a lot of it in ICU, several months ago. He was given big gun antibiotics for weeks, and I was worried the entire time that he'd get c diff. It was during the time my daughter was battling c diff. But he never did. The hospital he was in has a policy to give florastor to their patients on antibiotics. Not sure if that was the reason he never got c diff, but later on my mom was given clindamycin by her dentist - TWICE! I was so scared when I found out and had her go on Florastor ASAP. She never got c diff, either. My parents are 85 years old. So anecdotally, for our family, Florastor is a good thing!

Your poor, sweet daughter. Give her a hug from us. We're all hoping everything turns out Ok for all of you!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Call the ID. They work for you, and the weekend is approaching. There's no reason to make your little one suffer for extra days over the weekend if it is a relapse.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:26 pm

Thank you so much for the support, it means a lot. I emailed the Ped ID to call us in an order just in case. Ugggggghhhhhh.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 pm

It's often called the WWW disease.
Wait Watch and Worry.
Hopefully it will settle down.

denizz
Regular User

Postby denizz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:10 pm

i have an almost 4 yo son ..he had cdiff when he was 2 years and 7 months old since that time i am a constant worrier ..he just had a stomach bug 1 month ago ..no fever but he vomit a lot and D (d lasted only 2 days ..of course i was so scared of him relapse but he didnt ..i put him on florastor asap and culturella and brat diet and wait ( had to wait cs we just moved from europe to us and still no pedi yet and no ped gi in that damn small town )..i was so scared but thank god nothing happened and he is perfectly fine now ...lots of fluid ( i am sure u are already giving ) and i feel you and i know no matter i say u will worry ( bcs thats me after cdiff) but kids do manage cdiff better than adults and she will be fine ...

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:02 am

OCmama
I'm sorry to read that your daughter is sick , often flu viruses can create gut symptoms , it happens to me every time I get the flu. Make sure she stays well hydrated , and keep her on a very bland diet and maybe things will start to firm up. Also a cup of warm peppermint tea might help "weird stomach feeling".

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi everyone! So good news :-) my little girl seems to be ok, she had a week of D, but it appears it was viral/post-infectious IBS acting up. She started preschool yesterday, I am so grateful for her being able to go to school with her peers and have a normal childhood experience out of the hospitals and our home.

Thank you!!!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:49 pm

Good news. Thanks for letting us know and may she have a good and healthy school year.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:16 am

Many times, a resp. Infection will also effect the GI tract. Glad she is better. Relief!

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:31 am

Great news! Wishing her a healthy, fantastic school year. : )

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”