Vanco Taper/Pulse Dose and Stomach Pain

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
shooten
Regular User

Vanco Taper/Pulse Dose and Stomach Pain

Postby shooten » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Hello Everyone, I was diagnosed with C Diff at the end of May 2017. I had a 10 day run of flagyl and a week later relapsed. Went on a 14 day run of flagyl and toward then end of that run I started having all the flagyl side effects. 10 days later I started having symptoms again and my doctor had me retested and was positive for c diff. Since the flagyl was so hard on me the second time around I had my doctor switch me to vancomycin. I did four 125mg pills a day for a week, 3 a day for a week, 2 a day for a week, 1 a day for a week, 1 every other day for a week, and 1 every third day for a week. When I was doing one a week I started having some of the best BM i had had in quite a while. I was feeling great and could eat anything I wanted without a problem. I just got done with my week of one pill every other day and have started having issues. No WD, BM still formed but without as much girth as previously. I also am having tenderness in the center of my stomach, very similar to when I had gastritis back in 2014 (had to go on a PPI for 6 months to heal my stomach lining). I also have a lack of appetite, burping even though I haven't eaten anything. Luckily the pain seems localized in my stomach, not much tenderness in my intestines which makes me think it might be gastritis. I have been taking 2 to 4 florastor a day along with 2 bluebiotics a day. While on the everyday vancomycin I had no issues what so ever. Has anyone else had any issues while pulse dosing their vancomycin? I am worried it might have caused gastritis and I really don't want to take a PPI since I have read that it can promote c diff growth. I do have 300mg ranitidine (zantac) to take to help with heartburn.
Last edited by shooten on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco Taper/Pulse Dose and Stomach Pain

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:10 pm

I actually did get gastritis and pancreatitis with c diff or post c diff. The taper worked for me until I got to one pill a day, and I relapsed. Others have had better luck though. It is not unusual to get symptoms when you taper down until your body adjusts.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”