Can flagyl cause C Diff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lpta08
New User

Can flagyl cause C Diff?

Postby lpta08 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:26 pm

Hello all. I haven't been on this board in a long time so if this has been discussed please forgive me.
I had C Diff in 2015 and had 2 relapses. I finally got rid of it with a vancomycin taper. I have been extremely careful with antibiotics since then. I recently developed bacterial vaginosis and was put on flagyl twice daily. I have had some diarrhea and have started to worry about flagyl causing c diff. Does anyone know if this is possible? I know flagyl is the treatment for c diff but can it also cause it?

Thank you!

roy
Administrator

Re: Can flagyl cause C Diff?

Postby roy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Simple answer is yes flagyl can cause c.diff.
Especially if it's given in a lower dose than is prescribed for treating c.diff.
You might be surprised that it is not FDA approved as a treatment for c.diff.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 am

If you are prone to Cdiff , recently have taken antibiotic (Flagyl) and you are having D that doesn't subside , you should get tested. Flagyl can definitely give you Cdiff!

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:22 am

It is a lower offender but any antibiotic can cause C. diff

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:09 am

I agree with the others that Flagyl can cause c-diff. However, are you taking any probiotics? For me probiotics completely keeps all issues, whether it be bacterial or yeast, in check down there. I had a terrible virus back in February, so I stopped the probiotics for a while. Low and behold, I instantly got a BV infection. Before starting probiotics back when I had c-diff in 2014, I had chronic yeast infections. The probiotics literally stopped them from occuring. My gyno prescribed flagyl for me as well for the BV infection, but instead I started the probiotics back up. Within a week, the infection cleared on its own. For me, probiotics keep the BV and yeast infections away.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Lisa33 - would you mind telling us what probiotics you take?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:37 pm

I will jump in here also. I had a similar experience and developed BV months ago. I DID use the Metro Gel which is flagyl and the BV came back. I did a lot of research and found Pur Fem vaginal Probiotic. I found it on amazon but just recently cold not get it, found another site that did have it. Although I take VSL#3 the Pur Fem did get rid of the BV. I used it as directed and have started using a maintenance dose when I feel symptoms coming on

NanciT

lpta08
New User

Postby lpta08 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks everyone! I am taking florastor and the D has stopped. I'm hoping it was just something I ate. Will definitely be heading into the clinic for a culture if it comes back though.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 am

Amg - I currently take 1-Culturelle or 1-Florastor daily. I rotate them each day. I had c-diff back in Sept 2014. I used to take 1-VSL 3 and 1-Florastor daily for several years. This year I switched to the Culturelle from VSL-3 as I felt that I didn't need the VSL-3 anymore and they were quite expensive. The Culturelle/Florastor combo keeps the BV and yeast infections at bay for me. It was crazy that as soon as I stopped the probiotics back in Feb when I was sick, I got the BV infection. I also had bought the PurFem that Nancy recommended to keep on hand. Luckily, I haven't needed to use it. With me, the probiotics just work. And this is coming from somebody that had chronic yeast or BV infections. My last one before the one in Feb when I stopped the probiotics was from the Flagyl for c-diff. So, clearly it's not a coincidence that it's the probiotics keeping them away for me. :)

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Thank you, Lisa and Nanci. I have never taken probiotics. Never had BV. Yeast infections have been a problem for me, though. I'm going to try this!

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:05 am

Yup yup! It's even in a warning in the package insert!

Dbmalone
New User

Postby Dbmalone » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:13 am

My daughter was on Metrogel 1% topical gel (Flagyl) for acne. She was on it for a 1 1/2 months before developing c-diff. I just made the connection, though it's low dose and topical- I believe it was the precursor. She is otherwise extremely healthy and rarely gets sick. It's all that makes sense. I would agree, that yes, Flagyl can make you more susceptible to to C-Diff.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”