Alternative to hand sanitizer?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
juweee
New User

Alternative to hand sanitizer?

Postby juweee » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:32 am

I searched the board but have not been able to find suggested alternative to hand sanitizer. I have dumped my sanitizer as soon as I got diagnosed and I never plan to use again. But what do I do, as a mom, when I need to wipe a kid's dirty hands before eating a sandwich at the park with no water and soap in sight? Or I just want to wipe my hands coming off of holding the nasty rail in the NYC subway? What do you guys use? I realize this is for a light 'refresh' rather than a 'squeaky clean', but I am looking for something to make me feel a bit better before putting food in my mouth. Suggestions?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Alternative to hand sanitizer?

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:53 am

Washing with soap and water is the most full-proof defense against any type of germ or bacteria, but we all know that is not always accessible as a mom, during travel, etc. I use wipes and hand sanitizers still. Yes, they don't work for preventing c-diff, but the best defense other than hand washing for c-diff is to have good gut bacteria in check to ward it off. Diet, probiotics and vitamins is my way of keeping my gut in balance and my immune system up. The risk of catching common viruses such as the cold, stomach bug, flu is much higher, so I rather use wipes than nothing at all. With kids, it's almost impossible not to use wipes.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:10 am

I still use hand sanitizers when Im traveling and there is no water. I carry some paper towels and wipes in my bag at all times, in case I must use a restroom and there are no paper towels. I will put the hand sanitizer on my hands, rub it in and wipe it off with a paper towel or wipe. Of course, I know that wont kill c diff, but it's better than nothing if I have no access to soap and water. PS- my hands look like I am 110 years old, lol.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 pm

Hand sanitizers definitely have their place. They are portable and accessible when you are out. They are still used in hospitals and accepted by surveying agencies as infection control measures as long as people realize they do not take the place of soap and water and are not effective against c diff.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:22 am

Hand sanitizers aren't effective against norovirus either.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”