First possible stomach bug post treatment

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Aurora88
Regular User

First possible stomach bug post treatment

Postby Aurora88 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:23 pm

Well guys,

It seems I am finally there. That dreaded moment after being C diff free for about 8 months where I think I have been gripped by an intestinal bug. We all know that time will come for us eventually, because D is so common. Good news is I'm pretty darn sure its a bug. My dad had it earlier over the weekend and even though I had no contact with him to catch it, his coworkers are having it so it's going around. No nausea, just a lot of cramping and D that slowly built up over the day.
I'll admit it's a little bit PTSD for me right now and I'm doing my best not to panic. I have a good doctor so if it lasts longer than 24 hours like it did for my dad or I see signs of inflammation (M or B) I'll call tomorrow and ask for advice and go from there. I assume because I've been good for 8 months that It's highly unlikely for it to be the dreaded c diff again since I've had no antibiotics. Doing my best to stay positive/calm, stay hydrated, and once again wish all of you good health and positivity in the face of the mental hell called C diff.
Hopefully this post might help those of you who have or will experience the same thing.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: First possible stomach bug post treatment

Postby MKW » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi Aurora88, I am 5 months post-FMT that worked for me. The person who sits by me at work was out last week with a 2 day vomiting/diarrhea virus she caught from her 4 year old son. I was certain I would come down with it, but seem to have been spared so far. I fear the day I do catch this type of virus, I know I will be terrified. No matter how much time goes by, I believe I will always be terrified of C Diff. My PCP did actually diagnose me with PTSD over this. Just wanted to say I can totally understand how you feel and everything you are thinking :-) But 8 months is a long time, and you have reestablished a healthy gut microbiome during that time.

Aurora88
Regular User

Postby Aurora88 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:20 pm

MKW,
Glad you were spared! Bugs like that are the WORST! I totally get it though I think I will also always have that fear. I'm glad to hear the FMT was successful and I hope it stays that way! 5 months is great!!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:12 pm

Ugh the dreaded stomach bug. They used to call norovirus the winter vomiting virus back when I was in school, but now I am reading about current outbreaks. You really should be fine after 8 months. Get as much rest as you can.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:01 pm

My mom had norovirus last year in her nursing home. There was an outbreak. She has had c diff, but did not relapse.

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:30 pm

I am 26 months post c diff after fmt, but whose counting right? I did get a horrible cold at 18 months out and then the stomach virus at 20 months. I treated my cold with apple cider vinegar, garlic and other natural remedies etc. The stomach bug was horrible with vomiting and diarrhea, followed by a fever. I stayed really hydrated and tripled my probiotics even though I was so nauseated. I also was diagnosed with PTSD.

Aurora88
Regular User

Postby Aurora88 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 am

It was indeed a bug! After 12 hours of misery it finally passed. Pepto helped. Had a horrible headache the day after just like my dad did even though I was well hydrating myself, so thats the culprit.
I do agree I think taking probiotics for a bit after will help, as I think our systems are more fragile to stuff like this than a non-c diff person. My stomach wouldn't feel great when I fed it yesterday but would get hungry right after I ate even though the bug was gone. It will probably be a few days before my Bms are close to what they were again pre stomach bug, but no D! Also just incase no one knew this it is normal for pepto to turn your stool black for a few days after taking it.
Sorry I'm not alone in my stomach bug PTSD, but it is comforting at the same time to know it's kind of normal.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”