The Post-FMT Files, Part Deux

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
DrMike
Contributor

Re: The Post-FMT Files, Part Deux

Postby DrMike » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:31 am

Did ok today from a GI perspective, although things are all fast and loose down there. But I was able to get through the day from 8AM to just after 5 before Inhad to go. I downloaded Monash U's low-FODMAP app and their beef stew recipe is currently in my crockpot, making the house smell mazing. Hopefully, that will help.

It's my back that just won't take the hint. I just stayed standing most of the day, which helped avoid spasms, but a few times I had to wince in front of my patients and I hate that. The second dose of ENBREL should be about halfway to its peak plasma concentration right about now (assuming a linear model, which is probably not accurate).

I'm so damned tired. My husband, bless him, drained and refilled our jacuzzi. I can't wait to get in it

...uh, just as soon as I'm done pooping. :-D

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:36 pm

I'm another that suffered for several years...as in 4+ and counting.... with PI IBS after c diff. Food intolerances are the most frequent triggers. So I am another voice of caution with your food experimentation. Beef and other red meats have not agreed with some so proceed with caution. I have no idea how it would have reacted with me because I just avoided it. I definitely did not eat any raw veggies, salad (until today can to,erase only small amounts) and anything high fiber. Take it slow!!!!

Rita

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:50 pm

So this IBS flare that started Friday is getting nuts. 13 times to the bathroom yesterday. Three today so far (one woke me at 2AM!).

I've thought about fasting, but it's a poor long-term solution and also everyone who has tried it says that symptoms just return as soon as you resume eating.

So I'm sending my husband to get me peppermint oil capsules. They seem to be the most effective treatment I can find in the medical literature, better than hyosciamine.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Get tested.
That sound like a typical relapse.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:02 pm

I agree with Roy that a test might win order. Especially with waking up in the middle of the night to go :-/

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 pm

It's not a relapse, because the D is intermittent and it's not copious and watery. There is also no C. diff smell and I don't feel sick enough. This meets the classical description of post-prandial cramping abdominal pain that is relieved by stooling following an infectious enteritis.

Also, peppermint oil works really well. I still feel bloated, but at least the unremitting tenesmus stopped.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Try IBGard. It is peppermint oil capsules. Some posters have used it and found it helps.

mitchv
Brand New Poster

Postby mitchv » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Hello Dr Mike. Sorry if this is overly personal but as a fellow LGBTQ man I wonder if you can answer an insecurity I have had for a while. Were you ever able to have anal sex again after contracting c.diff? My doctor told me not to risk it while I am still contagious, and while I am currently inflamed I have no desire to. But it will be something of a disappointment if this ends up being a lifelong problem.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:34 pm

I'm with Roy, I think that sounds like early relapse. If the D continues, I would recommend you get tested. If you are positive, Alinia might be the way to go.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00304889

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:41 am

Mitch, I'm a top. I'm sorry I can't offer much insight, but with my bowels in an uproar, I haven't felt much like sex, bottom or top since this started. It's kinda hard to get in the mood when your bowels are constantly doing the fandango and making you feel like you have to poop.

And I think you guys are right. I collected and refrigerated a sample (wouldn't you know that one was semi-formed, dagnabbit!) and took one of my leftover DIFICIDs. The ultimate test will be to see if my symptoms improve. I sent a message to Dr. S. requesting another 10 day course of DIFICID.

I am so demoralized right now, I can't even describe how I feel, although the good news is that maybe this wasn't PI-IBS. Maybe I don't have to live the rest of my life in hell.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 am

It does sound as you are relapsing but if I were you I would wait to start taking treatment until test results come out.
Sorry you are feeling so low , sometimes more then one FMT is needed to get well .

DrMike
Contributor

Postby DrMike » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:18 am

I'm glad I treated it. I woke up this morning feeling better than I have in weeks and then passed solid stool.

The good news: I do not have, nor have I ever had IBS. I will eat salad again one day. I will not suffer for the rest of my life (assuming I survive this).

The bad news: this is a c. Diff relapse. The whole damned time I was suffering through untreated c. Diff.

I'm a 40yo man and I admit...I cried. Now I have to do another bowel prep and go through another FMT. I'm beyond frustrated. All that suffering and it was for nothing.

FML.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:42 am

I had to have more than one FMT and so have others. Hopefully, the second one will do it for you. Ask Dr. S to use a different donor.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:32 am

Bummer, but good luck.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:39 am

I assume you have read that ankylosing spondylitis has been diagnosed in people post C diff. Hopefully once the C diff has gone your back will calm down too.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”