PI-IBS or SIBO ?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
cnatra
Contributor

PI-IBS or SIBO ?

Postby cnatra » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:37 pm

So I'm only 11 days out from my last Dificid pill but I'm having daily issues with lots of gas , bloating and mild cramping as well as other abdominal irritation or "pangs" .
These are similar to what I experienced early on with C Diff infection but milder. No D with mostly solid stools but some C . Also not very regular either.

So is this probably PI-IBS ?

What are SIBO symptoms like ?

I've ratcheed back the probiotics to mostly Kefir.

Any feedback or insight appreciated !!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: PI-IBS or SIBO ?

Postby NanciT » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:03 pm

It's impossible to Know if it's SIBO without testing. As far as Post IBS, it sounds typical. I had more symptoms when I finished my Dificid taper then I did during the entire 10 months I had CDIFF. Everyone is different, some had No abdominal pain, I had more Post CDIFF and even now nearly 3 years later I watch what I eat.
I was on Dificid for 3 months while waiting for the only GI in my area that did FMT's, I often think that is why my recovery has been this difficult.

Wish I had an answer for you, Some recover very quickly and for others it takes awhile

NanciT

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:42 pm

Well I'm hoping it's just PI IBS .

Irritated & inflamed colon I guess after C Diff and all the meds over 7 months .

I'm thinking as long as no D and just the gas&cramping that means I'm finally rid of C Diff.

I plan on doing a PCR test about 4-6 weeks out.

Thanks NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:25 am

All the experts say you don't test to see if its gone.
If you test in 6 weeks it might come pack positive because you are colonised!
The aim with c.diff is to become symptom free, Sometimes it's impossible to eradicate the bug and its part of your normal flora.

Your guts healing, damage is not instantly repaired.
As long as you don't have D your doing well and hopefully it improves every day.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:11 am

I actually did not test Post CDIFF. It would be months later(nearly a year) I would have to take Kelfex for a UTI I could not get rid of. I had D for 3 days and then DID test and thankfully it was negative.
Unless you are having symptoms back and D I am unsure why they would test. The Post IBS can continue for some time. SIBO would require a specific test and I would first meet with your GI to discuss. The number of people on the site that end up with Post IBS is endless, we read it everyday.
Some only for a short time, others like me much longer.
There are medications for Ibs. I took Levsin which really helped. Meet with your GI to talk about all the options

Feel better soon!
NanciT

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks I'll look up Levsin.

I know the common protocols/guidelines say don't test for cure but I've had a couple docs say they would.
In fact I have orders for a PCR test and a toxin test. I wouldn't pursue treatment just from a positive PCR .
Only if I have active symptoms.

Although on GI said he would do an FMT if he thought I was colonized. (not sure what I think of that)

I think the issue for me (and many other people who deal with recurrent CDI) is the stress, fear, anxiety that comes after dealing with this
illness for so long. After my first bought Jan-March 2016 I had mostly blocked it out of my mind by last fall. Obviously a mistake on my part.

I knew less then and should have been more careful with subsequent antibiotic use. Partly my fault but also the way different doctors are uninformed about this disease as well.

I know I'll have to have hernia surgery in the not too distant future so issues like that keep me up at night. This bacteria has wrecked my (home & work) life the last 6-7 months. I don't think it's asking too much many weeks or a few months out to see if my gut flora seems clear of C Diff with a PCR test.

A little peace of mind would be nice !!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:19 pm

I have never heard of a FMT for being colonized. In fact I don't know why you would even treat asymptomatic colonization. In terms of SIBO vs PI IBS, xifaxan is a med that is used for both so you might want to ask your dr about that if your symptoms get really bad and it is also used with/post c diff, so your dr might want to consider it. Many of us have had PI IBS for various lengths of time as you have heard, and I too, had it for years and did not retest except for once when the dr was concerned I had relapsed years later, not to test for cure. He was very clear he did not test for cure.

We all get anxious about relapses/recurrences, fears about antibiotic use, with good reason, etc. It is normal.

Rita

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:02 am

I am one of those who was left with PI-IBS after c.diff. Like Nanci, I had more symptoms of IBS post c.diff than I did when actively infected and my last medication was also Dificid though I was only on the standard 10 day course.

I am 7 months out from c.diff and can say, thankfully, that the anxiety has lessened some though I am still dealing with PI-IBS. I sought therapy, and anti-anxiety medication, but a lot of the lessening of worry came from time. The longer I get from having c.diff, the more I can accept that my current symptoms are PI-IBS and/or part of my new "normal". I still have some food intolerances, and other issues, but they are manageable and generally don't impact my day to day life.

As Ril mentioned, anxiety about relapses, etc. are common. Was told I had to go on antibiotics (ended up not being true - sometimes we really do need to advocate for ourselves) recently and panicked but at least now I know about high offenders, culturing for targeted antibiotics, and using probiotics.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”