Anyone else have success with Alinia?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
CShilly
Brand New Poster

Anyone else have success with Alinia?

Postby CShilly » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Hello all. I am C-Diff free now, for almost 1 year. My father and I both believe that we contracted C-Diff while hospitalized during seperate incidents in the same hospital. His was during Bladder surgery. Mine was during a stay for A-Fib and Congestive Heart Failure. Neither of us had ever had C-Diff symptoms, but ended up sick with C-Diff within 2 months of release from the same hospital. Watching my dad battle with it, unsuccessfully for a very long time, really scared me once I found out that I had it. I have watched him suffer for a long time with recurrences. They have tried many different antibiotics. The usual Flagly, Vanco, etc. Everytime he thinks that he has it kicked, it comes screaming back on him.

When I first went to my doctor for this, he started me with a first round of Flagyl. That worked while I was on the drug, but I had a recurrence within days of the last dose. On the first recurrence, my doctor told me that he is going "a different route" that he has been having success with. He prescribed me Alinia(Nitazoxinide). I took a ten day battery, and still had soft stool at the end of the 10 days. However, the soft stool cleared up after another week without the meds, and I have been 100% symptom free, ever since.

I am trying to get dad on the Alinia, as he is still battling this horrific bacteria. His doctor doesn't seem so convinced, as it is not approved for C-Diff treatment. I am wondering if it is the drug that helped me, or if it is simply my younger age versus him being 67. Has anyone else had success with Alinia, or is this just a fluke?

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Re: Anyone else have success with Alinia?

Postby NikaNik » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi, there!

So sorry to hear that both you and your dad had to deal with c diff and that your dad is still battling. Has he tried Dificid or a Dificid taper or the colonoscopy FMT?

As for Allinia, I remember reading some older posts that mentioned it (you can type it in the search bar to see which posts come up). I also came across this study that says it may be as effective as Vanco. But it's an 11-year old study before Dificid (and FMT, I believe) were options. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19133801/

So glad to hear that you are doing well! That is fantastic. Best wishes to your dad for his healing as well.

Nikki

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:28 am

There are older posts where people have mentioned being cured with Alinia. I remember reading about it and I know at one time some doctors were using it as a "chaser" to vanco. This was before Dificid came out. Xifaxan has also been used as a chaser. I did that, but it did not work for me. I wound up having FMT. I would think that it would be worth a try, but Dificid might be a better option. Can your dad go to your doctor or do you not live close?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:36 am

You are lucky to have a doctor that thinks outside the box , you should get you dad an appointment with you doctor . You also have to consider that Cdiff treatments,recovery,diets etc are individual so if one treatment worked for you it doesn't mean it will be successful on your father's case.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:39 am

Hi,
After flagyl & vancomycin failed, dificid worked for me....Recovery was a long haul.....Now I am 90% like the pre - c diff me....
Scott

mka
New User

Postby mka » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Hey Scott..quick question. After you failed Flagyl and Vancomycin did you take Dificid for 14 days or do a taper. I have failed both Flagyl and Vanc and am awaiting PCR/GDH/toxin test at this time. If it's positive (which I'm sure it will be) I am unsure if I should push for a Dificid taper or just 2 weeks. Thanks so much in advance for your help. I am so ready to beat this horrible bug.

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:39 pm

I'd go for the Dificid taper

Jury is still out for me but I think it's worked

mka
New User

Postby mka » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks so much! Best of luck to you!!

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:46 pm

As to the OPs question ,

http://www.mdmag.com/journals/resident- ... -infection

https://www.scripps.edu/newsandviews/e_ ... janda.html

I knew I read something about his a few months ago :)

In fact I'm going to ask my ID doc about nitazoxanide

mka
New User

Postby mka » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:26 pm

Very interesting!! I would love to hear what your ID physician has to say about the articles and possible use of such medications to help whose like us with recurrent C Diff. Thanks so much for sharing!

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:21 pm

NP

Tigemycin is another antibiotic I've read is being looked at.

The Nitazoxinade is supposed to be potentially better because it doesn't really disrupt good gut flora .
Last edited by cnatra on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:17 pm

Alina has been out for a while, so it should be way cheaper than Dificid too. Maybe it can replace flagyl as the first drug of choice for C diff. A similar thing happened with MRSA when they discovered that old fashioned bactrim worked better against it than newer more expensive drugs.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:26 am

My daughter's ped ID mentioned it, but the adult ID had not heard of it. I hope it becomes more available!

CShilly
Brand New Poster

Postby CShilly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:17 pm

I just wanted to follow up on my original post.

I am still C-Diff free. Life is great with zero intestinal issues, going on 18 months or so.

I got my father into the same doctor that saw me, and we got him on 10-day Alinia. After two months, he has had no more symptoms.

He started with Flagyl, and then they put him on several courses of Vanco, one with a taper.

Alinia seems to be the ticket for him, as well.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:48 pm

That's wonderful your father is finally well! Actually fantastic, its sounds like he had several relapses. As far as this drug for Giardia, I do know if a GI's who tried it on a couple of patients but both relapsed. We spoke about it after my 3rd relapse. It is specific for Giardia and it does not appear further testing has been done probably because Dificid came out after.

You are both fortunate this worked for you!

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”