Weird Symptoms Going On

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
klw
New User

Weird Symptoms Going On

Postby klw » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 pm

So I know I am blesses that my bowels seem to be almost back to normal after 9 days on my first round of Flagyl. Eating well but not gaining any strength. Yesterday and today I have a weird feeling in my legs and feet. Almost lIke the feeling of your foot/leg going to sleep. Also my face feels a little like that. This all happens when I'm on my feet and is accompanied by EXTREME weakness. Almost like I'm going to pass out if I don't sit down. Don't understand why my bowels are so much better but now this. Of course have had weakness all along but this is different.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Weird Symptoms Going On

Postby Musings » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:16 pm

Are you staying hydrated? Could also be related to mineral/vitamin intake which is easily disrupted by c.diff given the limited diet and food not being absorbed properly. You could talk to your doctor to see if blood work should be done to check your levels and see if you are deficient anywhere.

~Lauren

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Flagyl can cause nervous system side effects. Don't be alarmed but it is something that should be reported to your dr to let him/her evaluate.

The good news is that the c diff is getting under control.

Rita

klw
New User

Postby klw » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks guys. Yes I'm drinking a lot. Although skin still doesn't pass the pinch test. I see my Dr on Monday. Will ask about blood work.. if this continues I will call him sooner. Tomorrow is last day of Flagyl.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Another mention of Flagyl.
What you describe is a known side effect and must be discussed with your Dr.
Your Dr might mark your notes so that your never given flagyl again.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:21 am

Another "check it out" about Flagyl.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:10 am

I second what everybody else said , those symptoms are metronidazole side effects ,you need to call your doctor.

klw
New User

Postby klw » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:36 am

Thanks guys. I'm actually glad you all say it sounds like the Flagyl because I took my last one last night. Hoping the weird symptom goes away now along with the weakness. It is all SO debilitating! My house is in such disarray at this point. I've just got to feel better soon! I know you all know the feeling and many of you have suffered far more than I have.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:52 am

If it is the flagyl the symptoms can last for a long time after finishing it, it CAN even be permanant. If it does not get better see your Dr.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:18 pm

Certain types of symptoms shouldn't wait until several days later to tell your doctor when you have your scheduled appointment. And what you describe falls into the category of "call your doctor now".
Yes, this could be side effects from the flagyl, and it could be something else like an electrolyte disturbance from diarrhea/dehydration, etc. Flagyl can cause peripheral neuropathy - damage to the nerves in the extremities. It can also damage the autonomic nervous system which controls blood pressure, sweating, temperature, etc. People with autonomic dysfunction can feel faint when standing up because their blood pressure regulation is not working properly. Add a touch of that to the weakness and dehydration that comes with c diff, and you can see how it could manifest in what you are describing. I'm not saying this is what you have, but it could be.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16901452

The bottom line is when symptoms such as this come on when taking a medication, your doctor needs to know right away to make the decision of possibly stopping that medication and switching you to something else, or to evaluate you for what else might be going on.

I hope you're feeling better.

klw
New User

Postby klw » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all your comments. I haven't called Dr because I'm off the flagyl now and the weird symptoms haven't returned. In fact today my energy level is somewhat better. Not great but better. So will definitely tell my Dr on Monday what went on. As far as I'm concerned Amoxicillin and flagyl are on my do not take list from now on. Plus I will be taking these high octane expensive pro-biotis for the rest of my life,

Host24
New User

Postby Host24 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Most likely, it could be the side effect of the drug. Have you checked your blood pressure? Check now using the blood pressure calculator at http://healthiack.com/blood-pressure-calculator or go to a lab. And hope you didn't take alcohol while using the drug, too?

Bryan30
New User

Postby Bryan30 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Those were my first side effects accompanied by ringing in the ears from flagyl. They are right, the effects can last long after metronidazole treatment or even be permanent. I have been off metronidazole for 1 year and still am having neuropathy issues and constant ringing in ears. Definitely contact your doctor.

Hmad422
New User

Postby Hmad422 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 pm

Sounds like it could be low potassium. Get a blood test to make sure. Electrolytes could be off balance as well.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”