What to eat?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Zapper
Regular Contributor

What to eat?

Postby Zapper » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi everyone... tired of me yet? Lol...
Anyway, I have successfully added to my diet (post 2 FMTs) chicken, rice, potato, sweet potato, avocado, beans, tomato, mild salsa (small amounts), tortillas, lime, banana, blueberries, strawberries, and rice Chex.
I really don't know where to start with expanding. My GI said to stay away from dairy, red meat, and raw veggies/lettuce.

Suggestions on what to start with? And should I continue with not adding anything new after 3-4 days of each new food or can that relax a little since I've mad it so far?

Cdiff
New User

Re: What to eat?

Postby Cdiff » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi Zapper, just from my own experience, I would go very slowly with introducing new foods. You are doing really well. What I found helpful at your stage was a naturopath who gave me mineral and curcumin supplements and put me on non-dairy no gluten diet. Every-one is SO individual. Just really pay attention to your body and how it reacts to foods. My GI put me on a low formap diet which has really set me back. Good luck!

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Did you eat dairy free cheese and milk products ok? I've read that some can't tolerate the plant based cheeses / soy or almond milks...

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Everything is individual but there are the "usual" offenders so don't be in a rush to rock the boat.
But yes, you can try adding a single new food after 3-4 days if you feel ok but be conservative.
You can try pasta, non- dairy cheese, eggs, soups with well cooked vegetables, peanut butter...
I definitely would stay away from raw fruits and veggies especially salad, fried foods, alcohol and sugared foods.
And if something bothers you go back to very bland until you settle down.

Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:40 am

Cooked zucchinis and green beans , avocado , peanut butter , vegetables soup , chicken soup with dumplings , baked apples , fish , turkey.

Cdiff
New User

Postby Cdiff » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Naturopath put me onto almond milk some months ago. Recently dietitian put me on to A2 milk. I have been having that for about 4 days now. Seems ok. My standby food is chicken bone broth with vegetables. It is a bit of work to cook all the time but it is very nourishing and safe. Good luck!

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:03 pm

made myself homemade blueberry muffins with lactose free milk (1/3 cup) yesterday.. ate one and have been violently sick for 24+ hours now. I would say about 8 bms and lots of pain/gas.
5 weeks post FMT and have been able to tolerate a lot (even raw blueberries) and confused why this made me so ill. I guess I really can't have any dairy whatsoever not even baked into treats.
I'm out of food and have to go to the store.. will have to wait until feeling better but looks like I will be back to chicken and potato!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:50 pm

If there is sugar in them that may have done it. I could not tolerate cookies after c diff for a long time and I think it was from the processed white sugar...only my theory.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:37 pm

Never thought of it being sugar. I've eaten quite a few times with sugar and had no issue. However, this was my first dairy item in over 3 months.
I'm still not feeling well. Which is discouraging. Lots of urgency but not as many bms as the morning. I was hoping it was IBS flare but now I'm not sure.. will continue to monitor for now...

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:37 am

I haven't had FMT but have been CDI symptom-free for 6 months now, following 2 recurrences.

When I was transitioning away from a limited diet, I ate scrambled eggs, white toast, oatmeal, English muffins, silk unsweetened soy milk and rice krispies, tofu, boiled vegetables, lentil soup, bananas, peanut butter, olive oil, unsweetened yogurt, kefir, white chicken and fish... and just experimented with adding things back, until I was back to my normal diet.

I don't know about the sugar thing. I have been eating this new ben and jerry's non dairy ice cream a bit too much lately, and it can't be good for me, I have to cut it down.

For its primary fuel source, C diff, however, turns amino acids (protein) into ATP. So, unless you're planning on cutting out protein, "starving" out C diff is not an option. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1698225/

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi, I had my FMT 4 months ago and have done quite well since, but I have food triggered IBS I have concluded. I have never had food intolerances in my life. And interestingly, this didn't start with me until over a month after my FMT. Weird. My trigger foods have been most vegetables other than green beans, and sweets. Sugar is a definite problem, one of my worst days was after eating 2 pieces of cake. I keep trying to expand my diet with poor results. I have decided I am not just in a situation of needing to "heal" post- C Diff. Something really has changed with me as far as food tolerances. I feel great otherwise, but am having no luck expanding my diet.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”