Recovery questions

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Terry
Brand New Poster

Recovery questions

Postby Terry » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:22 am

I'm female and 54 years old, first time poster but have been scouring this site for info since mid February when symptoms began.
My PCP suspected IBS but due to being on clindamycin in January wanted to rule out c diff. Positive stool test after a month of on and off crampy abdominal pain and alternating loose stools and constipation with lots of mucus. Was ref to Gastroenterologist and started Flagyl 500 tid for 2 weeks. Relapsed at about 10 days post treatment and put back on Flagyl as before but this time ending with a taper dose of 1 week bid followed by 1 week qd. During treatment bm's normalized but very nauseous and had wt loss of about 10 lbs.
I'm now about 5 weeks post treatment and have felt like I was relapsing at times followed by periods of feeling somewhat normal. I retested two weeks ago due to increased abdominal pain, urgency and mucus although mostly solid bm's once daily for the most part. Test came back negative... relieved. My worry is I'm feeling consistently worse as time goes on. These symptoms seem to continue throughout the day and am now back to multiple bm's that are sometimes mushy with mucus and crampy abdominal pain increasing. The nurse thought possibly pi ibs. So my question is, does this sound like a typical pi ibs pattern?
Thanks for any input.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recovery questions

Postby beth22 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:20 am

Hi Terry and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information and posting guidelines.

What you describe can be PI-IBS, but it could also be a relapse. My relapses came between 3 - 4 weeks after finishing meds usually. If I tested sooner, the test was negative. If these symptoms continue, I would ask your doctor to retest and if it is positive, switch to another medication like vancomycin or Dificid.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”