Can a steroid cause a relapse?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mom77
New User

Can a steroid cause a relapse?

Postby Mom77 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:39 pm

It's been a while since I have been on here . My 22 year old daughter battled Cdiff ( while pregnant)and was finally "cured" after her second relapse with a vanco taper. We have been very careful and question everything before they try to give her medicine .. Long story short, she has had stomach issues all her life and all IBDs have been ruled out and she had been diagnosed with IBS .. she just had a bad flare and went to her GP who knows about her CDIff and he gave her 2 shots of steroids for stomach spasms. That evening she started have diarrhea and continued with her severe stomach issues she went to him with.. I just looked up possible steroid side effects and my blood ran cold..I am so upset right now. Is it possible that this could bring the Cdiff back after a year being Cdiff free?

midway
New User

Re: Can a steroid cause a relapse?

Postby midway » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:22 pm

I believe that a C diff infection can only come around after antibiotics clear out the good gut flora. I'm not as familiar with steroids, but I wouldn't think that there is any possible way a steroid could cause a relapse.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:41 pm

I am familiar with steroids but have never seen them used for any kind of spasm. I wonder what she was given? I would call over and ask for the exact name of medication she was given and then you can look it up or call the pharmacist to explain.
Usually antispasmodics are given for spasm. I would check in with the MD. Steroids are complicated medications.

Hopefully the D will past, I would just always be sure in what meds are given especially with the history of CDIFF

NanciT

Mom77
New User

Postby Mom77 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Thank you both for responding. I wasn't there when he gave her the injections and I'll have have her call them first thing in the morning. She said he just told her he was giving her the steroids ..she still trust the doctors way to much. She knows to be adamant about antibiotics but we didn't know about the steroids ..

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:45 pm

I asked my GI the same question when I was considering getting steroid shots for neck issues. He told me that yes, steroids can lower the immune system and might cause a relapse, but that this was usually with oral steroids - pills or tablets that are taken. Not so much with shots, but I guess it is possible. Find out of there was anything else in the shot besides the steroid and what kind of steroid - cortisone maybe.

bback12
Regular Contributor

Postby bback12 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 pm

I actually get on a Crohns Forum, and there was someone talking about something similar on there. The guy had cdiff 3 times, and he was 18 months out and got a steroid shot in his back. He was nervous about relapsing, since he too developed diarrhea. After a few days things got better. Hopefully your daughter will be ok and will get over this bump in the road.

denizz
Regular User

Postby denizz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:07 pm

i asked my sons ped gi about it too ..she said yes they may cause a relapse if they are used long time ..than i asked how long ..she said 3 weeks and more ..

Mom77
New User

Postby Mom77 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Thank you all so much for responding and helping so much with your information. I wish all doctors were as informed as you guys are about CDiff. We're still waiting on her doctor to let us know what exactly was given and have called her GI for a Cdiff test just to be safe.. today is day and she has went several times today . She also told me that her GP had put her on an antidepressant called Floximede a week ago and after researching that.. it's actually Prozac which I've read could also cause a relapse.. she didn't take it today and is waiting for him to call back abt that as well..so frustrating. Praying that the one injection and the one week on Prozac didn't cause a relapse.. It's a little like tunnel vision , we were so focused on one direction( antibiotics is what her GI told her) that we never knew about the other possible culprits and got blind sided!! It is so heartbreaking:(

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:11 am

There are no concrete evidences that Prozac or Remeron are linked to Cdiff , it just a study from 2013 . You will be amazed how many people that had Cdiff in the past (and don't know about the study) are taking both of those antidepressant and they never relapsed.

Mom77
New User

Postby Mom77 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Thank you Georgina, that is comforting . Her diarrhea has slowed done.. thank goodness . We still not heard back from her GP or Gastro doctor.. If her symptoms had continued to get worse and not better , I would be in panic mode by now. Praying she continues to improve and just reacted to what ever they gave her ...

Mom77
New User

Postby Mom77 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Just wanted to update on this post in case someone else may go through this : Her Cdiff test came back negative.. I am so thankful !! She has an appointment with her GP tomorrow to get a new antidepressant , ( her Rhuematologist recommends Cymbalta for her fibromyalgia that she was recently diagnosed with). She's going to discuss with him the injections he gave her so there won't be a repeat to all this. Thanks so much for helping us through this :)

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:50 am

Good to hear she is doing better and she tested negative. I never tried Cymbalta but some of our patients (i work in endocrinology) that have been taking it ,have complained about having D from it.

sarcsue
Brand New Poster

Postby sarcsue » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:33 am

Steroids depress the immune system, so they can cause a relapse. I have relapsed 3 times in 2 years - each time it was after going on prednisone or methotrexate to treat my sarcoidosis. My drs. are at an impasse - my sarcoidosis is active and causing a lot of pain, but my c.diff is also active again so that precludes treatment for the sarc.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”