Working with C-Diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Bryan30
New User

Working with C-Diff

Postby Bryan30 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:57 am

I tested positive for C-Diff about a week ago. (Currently on 3rd try with Vanco). I am still going to work but struggling to get through the day. My boss recently told me that I "should not be using the restroom at work" if I have a contagious infection. My Dr has never told me I was excused from work, and has never given me a slip to miss any work. I've been fighting my butt off to hold it together and grind through the work days. Now I'm not sure how to feel after these comments were made. I wish Dr's were more clear on this infection and knew more. I mean, my grandfather had it and was quarantined in the hospital. Just looking for opinions. Thanks

Healed
Regular User

Re: Working with C-Diff

Postby Healed » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:16 am

Bryan30~
I was out on FMLA during my cdiff time ...but I was also out due to another medical condition and cdiff hit me like a macktruck before my surgery... Do you have sick leave and/or anl leave you can use? Contact your doctor and let him know your current condition and also your human resources dept on fmla information if you feel you need to be out of the office and at home.

Every person's condition and recovery is not the same.

Bryan30
New User

Postby Bryan30 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:34 am

Thank you for your input. I am familiar with fmla. I think I am more concerned about judgement for being at work with a contagious infection.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:11 pm

If you can get paid leave, take it. And ask for Dificid. Vanco doesn't seem to be helping you.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:43 pm

Yes. That was a rotten comment by your boss. Your boss, who is not a medical provider, should not be making statements like that.

I am sorry you have to deal with an individual like that.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

afroney
New User

Postby afroney » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:13 pm

notheidi wrote:
> Yes. That was a rotten comment by your boss. Your boss, who is not a
> medical provider, should not be making statements like that.
>
> I am sorry you have to deal with an individual like that.

Yeah... Where else are you supposed to go.

My docs would not clear me to work with a Cdiff infection. If your doc fails to realize that CDiff is serious enough to authorize FLMA/sick leave, I would find a different doc.

Cdiff
New User

Postby Cdiff » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:47 pm

I agree with afroney. Especially if you are on Vanco for the 3rd time. The official protocol is Flagyl, Vanco then Difficid. Then FMT. In that order.

CShilly
Brand New Poster

Postby CShilly » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 pm

I worked with it, and no one knew. Never took a day off work. I work in Information Technology which offers me great latitude in getting up and moving around. And my desk is quite close to the restroom. No one knew where I was going. I kept a bottle of bleach spray in the bathroom and cleaned the toilet after every use. I am a compulsive hand washer, anyway. Hot water, lots of soap and a good surgical scrub. I was more worried about my kids at home contracting it. I became an expert at cleaning the pot with bleach, and also kept Hibiclens surgical soap in all of my bathrooms. I spent at least 30 to 45 days fighting this dreaded bug, before I kicked it. The worst part was the hour commute to work. Very few options to get to a bathroom quickly. Kept "provisions" such as seat cover and change of clothes in my car. Never needed them. I just like to be prepared.

I would love to have taken the time off, but didn't have it. I contracted C-Diff during an earlier medical crisis, and that situation burnt all of my time. To top it all off, I got Shingles during my C-Diff bout. I fought through it all, and after a year, I feel awesome.

Hang in there! Take care of yourself.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:53 am

Ask your doctor for Dificid....This seems to be my mantra "it worked for me"....
After one try on vanco my doctor did not hesitate to give me dificid....
Ask your doctor about taking pepto.... Mine said it was ok (not Imodium)....I used it in very small quantities and it kept things quite when I was out of the house....
Scott

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”