How do you know you are "cured" and stop testing

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
christyn
Regular User

How do you know you are "cured" and stop testing

Postby christyn » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 am

I believe I started my c-diff journey in March. Luckily I have not been as severe as other posters I have read about on this site. Very thankful but also feel horrible for everyone that is suffering so severely with this horrible disease.

I have been through all the antibiotics, 10 days flagyl, 10 days vancomycin, 10 days dificid (forgive my spelling). All of them had a 2-3 week wait time in between before the nurse practitioner (not the doctor, which I just discovered she has not been speaking with this entire time) requested a retest. The test has come back positive each time. After the Dificid, I feel so much better than I have since this started. Nurse practitioner wanted to treat again but I convinced her to speak to the doctors because CDC says not to treat if I am feeling better. She called back and admitted that testing was being done too soon and to call back in a couple of weeks with an update. Needless to say I am very frustrated and planning to find another doctor.

At this point, my BM are not diarrhea but occasionally mushy 1-2 times a day and occasional discomfort in my stomach that I believe is more reflux. I will also have a feeling of being swollen and pain in my tailbone area that I am wondering is just the inflammation from my colon. My diet is also very limited on what I can tolerate and I know that I may always have issues with some foods.

I read on this site and others that the c-diff could have colonized and I will test positive but do not need to be treated. At what point do I consider myself "cured" and move on with my life? I have been on Enteragam since March. Could the Enteragam be preventing some symptoms that are making me think I am better?

Thanks so much for the help and support.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: How do you know you are "cured" and stop testing

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Some people test positive for quite a while after having c difficile. Unless your symptoms get worse, I would not test. If you are concerned, go and see an ID doctor. The one I saw said not to treat unless I had WD that did not clear up in a day or two. He told me to take Pepto Bismol, which I did. It sounds as if you are doing ok. Are you taking any probiotics or just the EnteraGam?

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:27 pm

Beth22.....Yes I am taking Florestor and ProbioMax. My nutritionist is helping me with supplements. I have thought about finding an ID doc and I may have to since I am not in agreement with how my GI doc is handling the situation.

Thank you for your reply.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:41 am

Going to the toilet only once or twice per day with a soft serve without other symptoms doesn't sound like active Cdiff. In recovery stool will have abnormal consistency , so unless D hits testing is pointless.

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:59 am

Georgina....thank you for the input.

Does anyone know anything about the Enteragam? If I still have c-diff would I have D or more BM while still on Enteragam?

Thanks.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:03 am

Enteragam is a medical food that can boost immune response and also acts as a binding agent and carry left over toxins outside the body , but is doesn't have the potency to stop a relapse.

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:06 am

Thank you Georgina.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”