Thoughts on Vitamin D and Peanut Butter ?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Healed
Regular User

Thoughts on Vitamin D and Peanut Butter ?

Postby Healed » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:44 am

All~
My nutrionist suggested that I add a vitamin D 1000 mg supplement in my diet and eat peaut butter- like spreading peanut butter on bread, graham crackets and bananas as a snack in between my meals.
Question? Does Vitamin D and peanut butter act as fiber because I had loose stools this morning... Perhaps, I can take vitamin D every other day or use a pill splitter and may be cut back on eating peanut butter. Or the loose stools could just be part of my PI- IBS.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Re: Thoughts on Vitamin D and Peanut Butter ?

Postby justme » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Dear Healed: I can't imagine why Vitamin D would be an issue, but peanut butter definitely could be. I couldn't eat it during C. Diff, recovery, and even now 4 years later. Nuts of any kind can be issue for many of us as they are hard to digest. Bananas are one of the things most of us can eat with little or no reaction. I practically lived on them during the early day of C. Diff and still eat one every day. What else are you eating? It would be best to stay away from salads, greasy food, dairy, spicy food, and sweets and add them back one at a time, until you can determine what is irritating your system. I hope you find the culprit and eliminate it. Good luck.
Aloha,
Anne

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:54 pm

Vit D cannot act as a fiber . Generally is well tolerated by a sensitive gut but if it taken in high doses might create few symptoms. The recommended dosage is 1200 ui per day.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:46 am

My daughter also doesn't tolerate peanut butter in her recovery. She ate it a lot prior to c diff and had no issues. Interestingly, almond butter is OK for her now.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:41 am

Vit D is good for your bones. My surgeon wants me to increase my intake because I have had so many broken bones.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:05 am

Everyone is different as I handled peanut butter just fine during c.diff and throughout recovery. I would try a small amount at first and see how your system handles it.

~Lauren

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:16 pm

I found that after I started supplementing with vitamin D, my stools actually got firmer. There are some studies out that people with c difficile have low D many times. But, whether they had it before or after is the question. I use a sublingual vitamin D spray that I spray under my tongue. Every spray is 1,000 units. I have used it for years. Sometimes, in the summer I stop for a while because I don't need it. I had problems with peanut butter too. I don't really like it, so I haven't tried eating it again.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:20 pm

If you have gut problems after introducing something new the simple answer is don't try it again for a while!

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:48 am

Thank you all for your responses.

I think during that time..I ate too much peanut butter and also I took vitamin D 1000 mg within 8 hours apart from each other vs 24 hours apart.

Thanks

PattieF
Regular User

Postby PattieF » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Maybe you should try almond or cashew butter. Peanuts are not actually a nut and I've been told not as good for you. I have added these during recovery and the fat really helps with the hunger issues when there is so little you can eat!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:31 am

The recommended dosage is 1000ui in 24 h not 8 h apart , too much vitamin may create discomfort . If you want to supplement your vit D you can start by going out in the sun , at least 15 minutes per day without without using sun protection lotion.

Tsc1964
Regular Contributor

Postby Tsc1964 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:44 am

Im.thinking your dr told you to take vit d an peanut nutter is because vit d us fat soluble vitamin an needs to be taken with sonething fatty to work correctly. But it doesnt have to be peanut butter sone toast an buttee would be fine. I also take liquid d3 an its only ine u tolerate that absorbs to raise my levels. Vit d3 also is important in rebuilding immune system as wdll as trace minerals we lose from not eating great due to cdif malabsorption also dont help.i cannot tolerate peanut butter either.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”