trying not to Panic

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
cnatra
Contributor

trying not to Panic

Postby cnatra » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:49 pm

So I've been fighting C Diff since Christmas.
I'm about to come off Vanco and go to Dificid.

I live with my wife and 14yr old daughter .

I extremely worried right now that my daughter has caught C Diff.
She's had moderate watery diarrhea since Tuesday and abdominal pain and cramping.

I'm think she obviously could have been exposed to the spores living with me the last 5+ months but what about the antibiotic to set things in motion ??

She had a 10day course of amoxicillin for a sinus infection April 27 - May 6 .

She also has been taking low dose (currently 10mg down from 15 & 20) prednisone as well as 10mg of methotrexate once a weak for mild sleroderma.

I have been relegated to the toilet in the master bathroom since January. My wife uses a different bathroom for her toilet needs and my daughter has her own separate bathroom with her bedroom in a completely different part of the house .

We wash linens , towels , underwear etc. on sanitize.

I've been using the clorox 10% medical bleach wipes in my bathroom and on my hands after BMs.

How plausible is it she's caught C Diff ??

I'm trying not to freak out !!!

21 days after the amoxicillin??

If I've done this to her .......... :(

I'm hoping for a rotavirus (can't believe I'm saying that)

roy
Administrator

Re: trying not to Panic

Postby roy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:28 pm

She should be tested, what you describe and the fact that she has been on antibiotics means she is at risk.
C.diff can develop up to 3 months after an antibiotic.
I am surprised that you were not aware of the risk and agreed on antibiotics, unless of course her sinus infection was severe and proven to be bacterial.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Don't use bleach wipes to clean your hands.
To kill c.diff WET bleach has to be in contact with the spores for 15 mins, that's not going to happen on skin.
Leaving bleach on skin for that long would cause severe damage.
You need to wash the spores off with soap and water.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Have her tested and try not to panic. There is a flu going around. As far as I know, we have not seen a family member get CDIFF. It sounds like you are taking the precautions by using different bathrooms but getting tested is a must and I would do it asap. Remember if DI continues se can get dehydrated quickly. Anytime antibiotics are used there is risk. I am still very cautious with all family members and they all tell their doctors of my history with CDIFF.
Hopefully it will be negative, please let us know and I hope she is feeling better soon!
NanciT

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:41 pm

My wife took her to the after hours pediatric clinic

They sent her home with the stool tests for C Diff and parasites . I'm not a Quest lab fan but they're supposed pick up samples at 8pm tomorrow.

When she had the bad sinus infection in April it had gone on for over a week and then she was flying out of town on a trip for a week. That was the rationale at the time :(

Good to know on the bleach wipes. I usually just wipe everything down and then my hands and let them air dry and lastly go for the soap and water.

I'll lay of the bleach for my hands now.

I still can't believe how disruptive this has been.
It feels like a curse.

At least she likes the Kefir.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Read the section on sinus infections in CDI. It gives a lot of suggestions for treating sinus infections at home that can work. I never take abx and have had infections that have lasted for 7 weeks that have remained viral, not bacterial but also have an ENT dr that works with me. Most will run their course. And remember about advising anyone on antibiotics to take good probiotics.
Hopefully she will be negative.

Rita

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:24 pm

You did not '"do" this to her. Guilt does not help anyone.

I know it is hard but wait and see. If this continues have her tested and see a good ENT.

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:40 am

Cnatra, my prayers are with you and your daughter. I hope she has not acquired cdiff. Note- Majority of cdiff infections are acquired thru the use of antibiotics. It comes from the inside. A nurse explained to me that we all have a little cdiff in our guts; Antibiotics can cause a disruption of the flora knocking out our good bacteria causing the overgrowth of the bad bacteria. That is why it is majorly important to take probiotics everyday. Not saying that a person still can't acquired it if they are taking probiotics. But the Medical Community need to stress the importance of taking probiotics to their patients. Place posters in their offices about the Benefits of taking probiotics. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is a world of cure.

Again, I am lifting you and your daughter in prayer.

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:51 pm

THANK YOU Healed for your prayers !!!

So her C Diff test was negative !!!

But she tested positive for E Coli
That was the culprit :(

Fortunately her BMs have mostly normalized as of yesterday :)

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:17 am

E Coli is no fun but definitely better to have then Cdiff!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”