How long are people off of work for? this is depressing...

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Khenman
New User

How long are people off of work for? this is depressing...

Postby Khenman » Mon May 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Im curious because i was out 2 weeks, while on flagyl. Then got tested right after i was done (like the day after flagyl was done) which came up negative for cdiff... Its been 10 days and the last 3 days ive felt painin my stomach near solarplex/ rib cage and also in my back like kidney area along with head fog/headache/nausea. I got re-tested for C-diff yesterday and am awaiting results and a blood sample as well. I take 2 florastor and 1 align each day so my stools are not D. But i do generally only go to the bathroom in the mornings and they arent very much. I did stop eating gluten 3 days ago as well.. And for some reason ive had a cough and slight congestion (maybe allergies i dont know) for the last 2 months.. im sure the anxiety doesnt help with that either.

I ask about work because even when i was tested cdiff free, my stomach still didn't feel very well and felt like i was struggling to get through the days at work, scared to eat anything for fear that my stomach would act up, which created anxiety of course. Im 30 years old and just curious how long people usually stay out of the office/work site for? 2 weeks went by fairly fast, but in no way am i back to being well. I dont think my direct supervisor knows the brutality of what C-diff is to be honest, but my coworkers seem to know since they actually looked it up.

Anyways im awaiting test results, but of course am worried... I really am trying to do whatever i can to get better. supplements (florastor, align, tumeric, l glutamine, cod liver oil), eating rice cooked veggies oatmeal, bananas, kefir, whatever i can do I am willing to try... This stomach issue is so debilitating...

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: How long are people off of work for? this is depressing...

Postby NanciT » Mon May 29, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi

On the site you will find recovery is different for everyone. If you have tested that soon after medication this one should be accurate. If it is negative speak with your MD about medication for IBS. Some have no pain, I had a lot of abdominal pain post CDIFF for a long time. I kept my diet very bland and added things slowly. Everyone is very different in the recovery period.
Hopefully this test will be negative! If it is, meet with your GI about Medication tat can help. I still take Levsin on and off, use a heating pad on and off.
Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

Khenman
New User

Postby Khenman » Mon May 29, 2017 11:27 pm

I don't know if it's ibs or not. I mean I take probiotics go to the bathroom every morning once or twice not D. I do get full easy.. bloated I guess, but don't feel so much gas. The pain under my ribs solar plexus area and back is terrible and I've been having headaches last 4 days straight. Pains makes my stomach feel uneasy and not a good combo with headache nausea.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:01 am

Everyone is different. I did not miss work, except for a day or two here and there. Only during my worst relapse would I have missed for sure, but it was in July and I teach and was off for the summer. Easy on the cod liver oil. That acts as a laxative.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Tue May 30, 2017 9:16 am

Like Beth, I only missed a few days of work when my symptoms were simply too much to handle but it seems my relapses tended to happen on Thursdays/Fridays so once back on medication I generally was OK to work come Monday and have my own, private stall at my office. Everyone is different but I had/have very limited time off from work and own my own house, by myself, so couldn't afford not to work.

Your current symptoms sound more like recovery to me and it can take some time to return to normal. Depending on how physical your job is, might be a good idea to work and get your mind off of c.diff. I was also 30 years old when diagnosed (now 31) and thankfully being a bit younger we tend to bounce back quicker than those older who are affected.

~Lauren

Khenman
New User

Postby Khenman » Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Yea I hope it's recovery, but it's just tough being at work and feeling so uncomfortable. It's doesn't help that this is a new job for me so I have anxiety. The good thing is I can get my work done from anywhere as long as I have my work laptop computer. I just don't want to look like a slacker even though I am feeling like crap. And afraid to eat anything at work for fear of feeling sicker then I already do. I am hoping this is recovery Bc I don't want to do antibiotics again, but this is brutal... If I'm alone I work fine, but the office everyone is so friendly and talkative, not a good combo when I feel sick & anxious...

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Tue May 30, 2017 2:42 pm

I was diagnosed with cdiff one week after starting a new job. I missed 2 weeks initially while on antibiotics. I relapsed again afterwards before my FMT but didn't miss any further days, aside from the day of my actual FMT. The anxiety for me was the worst part and eventually I started taking anti-anxiety medication to help. Since I was new to the company people didn't know me well enough to know I wasn't feeling my best which was almost a good thing. Take your time to heal!

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Wed May 31, 2017 5:58 am

Khenman:
My prayers to you. Everyone's experience with cdiff is different. But depends, some cases can be mild, moderate to severe. I am sure it is extremely hard trying to work in the office and making multiple bathroom trips which makes a person miserable and trying to get anything accomplished. But I do understamd depending on the circumstance and condition, some people do have to work if they don't get paid sick leave or just started new employment or self-employed. There are some posters who went on FMLA....Cdiff is not a 3 day diarrhea where you just might've eaten something bad and it clear up instantly. I was diagnosed in Feb 26, 2017, but might've had it two weeks prior from the antibiotics I was on...By the 13th day, it got worst, and I was running up and down the toilet...at work. Cdiff is more than a nuisance.
I was out for several weeks after I was diagnosed but I was also out because I had a scheduled surgery for a different medical issue.....which had to be moved around..because - My doctor wanted the diarrhea infection to clear up prior to the surgery. So yes, I was dealing w/cdiff and getting surgery at the same time. And let's not talk about the mental anguish and sleepless nights or not getting sleep and pain. Do you you think you can still function or manage working from home or part-time, or a combination ;or need time off for your medical condition?

Khenman
New User

Postby Khenman » Wed May 31, 2017 5:28 pm

I can work from home easily, but i dont want to look like a slacker or anything i dont know. Even when i was sick, i was able to work from home for 2 weeks, and not use any sick time. The company is great with great benefits, I just dont want ot look like im taking advantage of it thats all. Right now im toughing it out at work getting through the days. Even though i cant really eat much because Im afraid of feeling bloated. I ate a banana today at lunch and felt full... i usually munch on raw almonds most the day just to have a little something in my stomach, along with water. I eat when i get home though white rice and veggies. For some reason i had steamed carrots before bed and it just went right through me the next morning.. I agree mentally its taxing, my anxiety was bad before, but this just heightened it. I do have some meds (propanolol) which helps a bit with the increased heart rate at least. I guess im fortunate to sleep well at least, but i notice everything i eat leave a nasty after taste which sucks...

afroney
New User

Postby afroney » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:26 pm

. Ive been battling cdiff for a year and a half. Lost my job after FMLA leave expired. Took advantage of my company's disability pension and got Social Security as well. Ive got other chronic illnesses as well, so I'm not planning on returning to work - even if they cure my cdiff.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”