Vancomycin + Relapse Reassurance Request

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Vancomycin + Relapse Reassurance Request

Postby Musings » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:37 am

There are plenty of forums/resources for anxiety related issues but if you are still in severe pain then agree with the others who have posted here that you do, in fact, need "medications and stuff" as c.diff is an illness and can't be reassured away. Trust me, most of us would have been thrilled if it was possible but we had to go through multiple rounds of medications and/or FMTs to recover.

~Lauren

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:23 am

Abject terror can present itself as an insatiable need for reassurance. I know because I've been there. No matter how much anyone reassures you, it isn't enough because you can't take it in.

I have been focusing my efforts on radical acceptance. This is where I am right now. It sucks, but there's not much more I can do about it, except just focus on the present moment and get through it.

The mind[expletive] aspect of c diff for me is that I always felt like, 'If I only did x, then I'd get better [or diagnosed, or...insert any other desired outcome].' It never quite turned out that way; as much "x's" as I tried to do, it didn't always lead to the preferred outcome. Sometimes it led to more suffering; sometimes it did help. Now I am trying to focus my efforts on trudging along, just putting one foot in front of the other.

C diff causes so much suffering that it's only natural to try to innoculate yourself against that suffering, be it through urging your doctors to do things (sometimes the correct action to take, and sometimes not--very hard to tell), or asking others for reassurance that you won't relapse, or any other methods we try to avoid pain and suffering.

The person you really need the reassurance from is you. Can you accept your condition? Can you reassure yourself that no matter how many times you relapse, you will still be there for yourself? Just focus on today, if you can.

I hope you feel better soon.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:44 am

Also, you could go read some of the stories in the Success Stories thread. :)
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”