Rectal ozone for c diff??

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Green65
New User

Rectal ozone for c diff??

Postby Green65 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:18 pm

Hello.

Has anyone tried rectal insufflation with ozone for c diff? I have an appt Tuesday to get information about it. It sounds like it could work. However, I am nervous thinking about sticking anything up my butt. Ozone will kill pretty much anything it comes in contact with so it sounds like it could work. I am sure there are major risks and dangers with this. However, I have not been able to find anything online. Let me know if you know of anything. Thanks!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Rectal ozone for c diff??

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 26, 2017 11:46 pm

Would do far more investigation. I have never heard of this being done. "Buyer beware."

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri May 26, 2017 11:58 pm

I have never heard of this and did just see one article online about "Ozone Enema's" written by a PHD. I would review anything like this closely with a GI and ID who are familiar with CDIFF. I don't know if you have been on standard treatment and am unsure why you would consider this.

In everything I have read about CDIFF over the last 3 years, I have never seen this in a research paper or drug study.

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat May 27, 2017 6:53 am

Sounds like snake oil being sold by a quack!
If only it were that simple to cure c.diff.!
Don't be ripped of by this practitioner, it's not going to work and might cause harm.

Green65
New User

Postby Green65 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:30 pm

The only reason I'd consider rectal ozone it is because I am beyond sick with infections from a tick bite and I can no longer take antibiotics to treat the infections because I got c diff. I had been doing AMAZING throughout my treatment on antibiotics. I was almost back to "normal", going to the gym daily, not having numbness/tingling, enjoying the taste of food again, etc. And then I got c diff. Bam. And I had to stop all antibiotics for the treatments for the tick infections about two months ago. And over the past two months, things have gone from bad to worse. My daily fevers are back raging, horrible headaches, neck pain, back pain, etc. I am a sitting duck because I can not take any antibiotics for the tick infections (Lyme is the least of my worries.... I have a lot significant infections more than that). One of the doctors told me to consider either IV ozone or rectal ozone because ozone kills bacteria. It is a VERY alternative treatment in the US. However, in other parts of the world, apparently they have been using ozone for years to heal infections. So I was hoping it could kill the c diff completely so I can go back on antibiotics while taking massive amounts of probiotics to try to keep the c diff from recurring.

So that is the only reason I'd consider sticking anything up my you know where.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat May 27, 2017 11:36 pm

If something seems too good to be true it usually is. I would be very careful about doing this and would do nothing without consulting a GI or ID dr with specific expertise in c diff. It would seem as though there would be published research or otherwise public knowledge of this treatment modality if it were known to be successful or used even internationally for c diff.

I understand what a terrible position you are in. But don't jump from the frying pan into the fire.
I hope you can find a safe solution.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun May 28, 2017 7:02 am

Sounds like it would wipe out all the good bacteria as well and that's the last thing you want with c.diff.
Is it a mainstream Dr suggesting this?

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Sun May 28, 2017 10:03 am

I would recommend that you do a lot of research. I have been reading that it is used for some illnesses but have yet to find it is used for the treatment of cdiff.

As my aunt always tell me, It is called the practice of medicine. So this doctor, may be using you as an experiment or case study. Call The NIH or Centers for Disease Control to find out about this procedure and curing cdiff.

http://www.thelifeco.com/en/360-health- ... ne-therapy

https://www.chunginstitute.com/rectal-ozone-therapy/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... hears.html

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun May 28, 2017 11:22 am

Hi, I have read many articles about C Diff since my ordeal began last August, but have not seen one thing about Rectal Ozone. And I have specifically researched "ozone" in regards to dental treatment. I would think even if this is a legitimate safe treatment, it would kill off "all" bacteria. The goal with C Diff recovery is to reestablish the good bacteria that will permanently keep C Diff bacteria in check. This is something to consider.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun May 28, 2017 12:59 pm

I think this says it all.
Ozone is banned by the FDA.
In April 2016, the FDA has prohibited the use of ozone "In any medical condition for which there is no proof of safety and effectiveness". It determined that "ozone is a toxic gas with no known useful medical application in specific, adjunctive, or preventive therapy" and that its use as a germicide was not safe.[23]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_therapy

Green65
New User

Postby Green65 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:11 pm

I don't entirely trust the FDA or the CDC for that matter. That does not mean that I am going to run out and stick ozone up my you know where. But the CDC and FDA are not the end all be all. Many other countries have been using ozone (not necessarily rectal ozone) as a way to treat many different types of infections for many years. Often ozone is used in other countries way before they go to antibiotics which ultimately destroy the gut and immune system.

I am trying to think outside of the box because of several tick born illnesses I have and the c diff has come as a result of taking antibiotics for these infections.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 am

Personally, I would want to be treated by top internal medicine doctors who are well versed in tick born illnesses and c-diff to come up with the safest, most effective treatment plan. I am all for trying natural remedies during the recovery/healing process, but I wouldn't fool around with anything as serious as the illnesses that you are dealing with. There is no way I would try anything that is banned by the FDA, and my trust would be with doctors who have studied and practiced medicine and are experts in my illnesses. I understand that you are trying to think outside the box, but we cannot promote anything that is banned by the FDA on this site. We can only give our opinions based on our experiences and offer support to get through this horrible illness. I feel like I replied with this earlier, but have you discussed the possibility of taking vanco or dificid along with the antibiotics for the tick disease? Or is an FMT possible? I have no idea, but these are things that I would discuss with my doctor to see if it's possible.

PattieF
Regular User

Postby PattieF » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:31 pm

I have a friend in Canada who swears one ozone treatment (not rectal) cured her and her ex's c-diff. He was in a hospital there that had been one of those affected by the rampant spread. Just saying...

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Regardless of that Patti, on this site we cannot support or advise any such non approved treatment.
Green, with all your tick borne issues I would assume you are seeing an ID dr. That is exactly the kind of dr I would discuss alternative therapies with.

If you want to discuss any therapies not approved in the US you can contact another poster by PM. I'm sorry but although we might support trying accepted natural remedies we will discourage any treatments that are specifically banned in this country or found in the US to be potentially dangerous.

Good luck in your quest.
Rita

PattieF
Regular User

Postby PattieF » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:56 am

Ril...not supporting or advising on any alternative treatment. Just commenting that it worked for someone I know. Conventional wisdom is not always best. Many of us became ill due to conventional wisdom.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”