New C-Diff Positive after Antibiotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Lyndie
Brand New Poster

New C-Diff Positive after Antibiotics

Postby Lyndie » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi all,

I am a 56 year old female, formerly in good health. In October 2016, I had a tooth infection and the doctor treated it with Clindamycin. Afterwards, I became sick with C-Diff, and just today a test came back positive. So I've been dealing with this for about three months and am feeling very depressed after another positive result. I took flagyl, then vancomycin for two weeks, and now my doctor has ordered vancomycin again. I have avoided being intimate with my partner because I'm afraid of infecting him, so i feel this is negatively affecting our relationship. Is it safe to have sex while positive? How have you dealt with the intimacy issues along with the self-esteem issues? I feel so discouraged, like what if this is never-ending? Maybe I just need some hope right now,

Thank you,
Lyndie

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: New C-Diff Positive after Antibiotics

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi Lyndie and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for information about posting, etc. I'm sorry that you are going through this. Have you asked the doctor about the intimacy issues? Maybe your gyn? You can be intimate, but obviously need to practice good hygiene. That said, oral sex is not a good idea. Perhaps some of the younger posters can give you more specific information, but as long as you are not having D, there should be no reason to stop.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:06 am

Welcome to the site Lyndie.Sorry to hear that the first course of Vanco failed , hopefully this new course will do the trick . You can discuss with your doctor about Dificid as well , is superior to Vanco as it is made to target only clostridia and it does not touch good flora.You can also add a probiotic with your course of meds like Saccharomyce boulardii.
About your sexual activity , as Beth said , if the meds are controling your symptoms and you are no longer having D you can have as much sex as you want.

RebeccaL
Brand New Poster

Postby RebeccaL » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:46 am

I have to say it hurt my relationship, too. I had two bouts with C-diff over the course of two months. We went a long time without intercourse, but part was he was scared of catching it. LOL You could always pleasure him or try to make him feel special in other ways. If you aren't having D - I'd go ahead and have sex.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:21 pm

To be honest, during and for a while after c-diff, I did not even feel like being intimate. So God Bless You, if you are up to it! I agree with the others, as long as you are testing positive and have D, I would stay away from oral. However, I think it's ok as long as you practice good hygiene. I hope that the lack of intimacy doesn't ruin your relationship though. I think a partner should be understanding during this difficult time.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Milk, milk, lemonade, round the corner chocolates made.
If you don't go for chocolate your both fine:-)

KatNS
New User

sex and c. diff

Postby KatNS » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:59 am

I miss being intimate with my husband. My doc wants us to wait cuz I was having some small rectal leakage. That has disapated. To keep him from getting ill, is a condom the best line of defense? I do plan to talk to my doc on Monday since it is the weekend, but I would love to hear from others.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”