Need advice

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Arielle
New User

Need advice

Postby Arielle » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:36 pm

I know I have already posted questions about probiotics but I would like to get in to a little more detail with my current situation and hopefully someone will come up with different ideas on what's going on with me. I did a 5 week course of vancomycin finishing September 26. During this time I also took Florastor opposite the vanco. I felt I did't have any stomach problems when I took the vanco but when I took the Florastor I would get what I considered heartburn which I would treat with vinegar or Pepsid. When I vinished the vanco my ID doc took me off the Florastor and had me take prescription strenght Restora RX. I would take this on an empty stomach and that is when my problems really began which was within a week of starting I was having severe hearthurn but could not convince the doctor it was from the Restora Rx. I also want to point out that this probiotic which had L casei but also 333% of the daily value of folic acid. Quite a lot in my opinion. The pain got so bad in my abdomen and rapping around to both kidneys that I made an appointment with my primary care to see what their opinion was since no one would listen. She put me on Zantac 150 x twice daily,xanas 0.25 x 3 daily , which I only take when the pain is giving me anxiety, told me to stop taking the Restora Rx and sent me for a gallbladder ultrasound, because as she put it, I had lost a lot of weight fast with the c diff (15 lbs) and it sounded typical gallbladder symptoms. I knew the ultasound would come back with stones because they had been there 20 years ago and I have never had any problems. Now I must say that my diet has never been better than it has been lately and eat clean now. No fatty foods, no dairy, no sugar and no red meat, no uncooked vegatables. So if I was going to have a gallbladder issue I think it would have been before now.I was sent to a GI doctor who is now sending me for a HIDA scan in two weeks and wants me to think about removing my gallbladder. I am still not convinced that this is my gallbladder and would like some input. Let me also say rhat I tried another probiotic that had 50 billion probiotc and the same thing happened. Then I went back to the Florastor and it happened with that too. I am convinced I either have an ulcer or the probiotics are so strong that my body is detoxing bad bacteria from the probiotics that is causing the abdominal discomfort, rapping around to both kidneys and actually causing some pain near my arm pits where I think my lymph nodes might be. I also talked yo my chiropractor and after examining my abdominal area told me that if it was my gallbladder I would have jumped off the table when he pushed on it. I have no pains when pushing on any area. He suggested another probiotic but know I am do afraid of starting anything else until this pain goes away. Are my probiotics too strong? Will c diff return if I am mot on a probiotic? Am I crazy here??

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Need advice

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:09 am

I would stop taking the probiotics. I can't tolerate them well. I got problems with my pancreas after c diff - chronic pancreatitis. If you don't think it is your gall bladder, I would seek another opinion from a different doctor. You know your own body well. Have you tried drinking kefir? That has some probiotics. If you can't tolerate dairy, then it probably is not a good idea, but if you can, then try a small amount and see how you do.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:31 am

I agree with Beth. Stop the probiotic and see if that solves your problem. You may just be allergic to them or to the filler or capsule material. Doctors aren't even sure they do much to prevent relapses anyway.

Arielle
New User

Postby Arielle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Thank you Amy and Beth! I did stop taking all probiotics. Thursday was the last day but I am still in pain, although a little better. Still on the heating bad though. Hoping that I start feeling better and it is not my gallbladder.

AtlantAn
Brand New Poster

Postby AtlantAn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi! Try drinking an 8 oz. glass of Kefir every day.... it tastes pretty good if you get the right one (I like honey vanilla and also peach strawberry). It’s full of prebiotics and has been very helpful to me. I’ve got c diff too....

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 am

You are not crazy. You are ill.

Try what the others suggested and cut back on probiotics.

Pls read the first forum abouy the rules of posting - paragraphs, short sentences.Help us help you.

Keep.us posted.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 am

this thread is over a year old.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 am

Her last post was Nov 5, 2016. Wonder if we should set time limit but probably nor worth extra work.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”