D-Mannose and C Diff?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ashtontw
Regular Contributor

D-Mannose and C Diff?

Postby ashtontw » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Curious if anyone tried D-Mannose while treating C Diff? I started taking it to curb what I feel is a UTI or at least symptoms of. I've been taking 6g a day, 1500mg 4x a day. It seems everyone has different opinions on dosing, etc and I didn't know what to do so I was winging it. I have read that it can cause D in large amounts. I'm starting to think I overdid it. My cramps, abdominal pain, gritty D, and orange color have come back over the weekend while I've been on it. Currently on 3x a day Vanco this last week. Today I've gone 5x already as opposed to normally 1x in the morning and pretty formed and normal looking. Now I'm worried that the D Mannose has affected or fed the C Diff?! I left a message with my GI because I'm supposed to taper to 2x a day Vanco today and I'm terrified to because of my symptoms coming back. Always something!!! Can't we all just recover and have our lives back?? :(

If anyone has any advice in general or knowledge of D Mannose it's very much welcome! Needing some courage today.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Re: D-Mannose and C Diff?

Postby Ismaila » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:11 pm

I had UTI during active Vanco treatment in April, and was on Macrobid for ten days. Did not relapse during the treatment, probably because I was on Vanco at the same time, and Vanco really worked for me, almost immediately.

The UTI symptoms though, lingered, although not as bad as during the active infection. That is when I heard about Waterfall D Mannose, and ordered it. I have been on it since, as prevention for UTI.

D Mannose never gave me D, although I used it at the time a lot, to get rid of the possible remains of E Coli in my urine. The recommended dosage by Waterfall company ( Britain), is heaping teaspoon in a glass of water every three hours, for 2 days minimum. That means during the night too. Waterfall does not guarantee if the dosage is not strictly followed. It really kicked E Coli completely for me, and now I take it once in the evening, as a prevention, and every now and then I would take it four times a day for 2 days. Just in case.

But again - D Mannose did not give me diarrhea. I do not think it really had any affect on my recovering stomach, because I had gurgling, and all kinds of stuff still going on anyways.

All the best to you, and I wish you speedy recovery,

Ismaila

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:33 pm

It's mentioned quite a lot by other posters.
Use the search box to find the discussions.
You will find all the answers there.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:27 pm

At least one reference to mannose causing loose stools:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... =d-mannose

I had been taking vitamin shoppe mannose plus cranberry (only 1 per day) for maybe a year, and last week switched to powdered mannose. I tried to take the same dose as before (only 1 gram per day), and I after 2-3 days I ended up with a bout of cramps after lunch one day at work that forced me to run to the restroom with a very loose stool. Looser than normal stools persisted for a few days. I am still not sure if the powdered mannose had anything to do with the GI upset, but for now have switched back to the pills.

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Ismaila - thank you for the well wishes! I think the majority of people don't have any issues with D Mannose. Leave it to me to have the issue with it.

Roy - thank you! I did search it earlier and didn't find much about anyone else having an issue with it :-/

ResearchGrandma - thank you for sharing! So 1g hurt your tummy and I was taking 6g for about 3 days. At this point I'm hoping it's the D Mannose and not some other stomach issue. Pain has been persistent all day and frequent BM but no D, just loose. Very out of the ordinary compared to my last two relapses. GI doc didn't bother to call back, either.

Cralu
Brand New Poster

Postby Cralu » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:32 pm

Ismaila wrote:
> I had UTI during active Vanco treatment in April, and was on Macrobid for
> ten days. Did not relapse during the treatment, probably because I was on
> Vanco at the same time, and Vanco really worked for me, almost immediately.
>
> The UTI symptoms though, lingered, although not as bad as during the active
> infection. That is when I heard about Waterfall D Mannose, and ordered it.
> I have been on it since, as prevention for UTI.
>
> D Mannose never gave me D, although I used it at the time a lot, to get rid
> of the possible remains of E Coli in my urine. The recommended dosage by
> Waterfall company ( Britain), is heaping teaspoon in a glass of water every
> three hours, for 2 days minimum. That means during the night too. Waterfall
> does not guarantee if the dosage is not strictly followed. It really kicked
> E Coli completely for me, and now I take it once in the evening, as a
> prevention, and every now and then I would take it four times a day for 2
> days. Just in case.
>
> But again - D Mannose did not give me diarrhea. I do not think it really
> had any affect on my recovering stomach, because I had gurgling, and all
> kinds of stuff still going on anyways.
>
> All the best to you, and I wish you speedy recovery,
>
> Ismaila

Thank you for this wonderful post.i will try it now for endometriosis as they know its cause c diff or klebsiella i understand fos also stops adherence.fos also feeds good bacteria its important to know good bacterias act as antimicrobials against bad ones so if you have high count in colon , you will have high count of good bacterias in uteris and other parts.bacterias travel.even c diff you get orlly can grow in vagina.conclusion? Besides d mannose, strengthen your colpn bacteria count with inulin/fos, partially hydrolised guar gum, polyphenols.also cranberry juice helps in many ways.one is by feeding a type of bacterias called akkermansia...just as hint

Cralu
Brand New Poster

Postby Cralu » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:27 am

Hi guys

This is a very old post.im reading this to try with endometriossis which is caused by c diff or klebsiella.
Just one not for everyone, pathogens get in due to week microbiome.one very important thing to know.week microbiome in uretra or vagina and so on is cause by weak colon microbiome.
And just to make it clear: taking antibiotivs and then taking probiotics to repopulate its not only true but it makes absolutely no sense how that would only work.its like saying: im killing 200ü TYPES of bacterias and im adding 1 type in. I hope that helos some people

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:07 pm

I have never heard that C. Diff can cause endometriosis.
C. Diff does not survive in an oxygen rich atmosphere so although spores might be found anywhere on the body, including vagina, they are not disease causing.
I can see your posting from Switzerland, welcome.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”